Complaint Review: Castaic Auto Performance Center

• Submitted: Fri, August 01, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 30, 2010

• Reported By:Castaic California
Castaic Auto Performance Center
31531 Ridge Route Rd Castaic, California U.S.A.

Castaic Auto Performance Center Installation of wrong and damaged spark plugs when performing a maintenance tune-up on our car Castaic California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Under New Ownership

*Consumer Comment: Keep a maintanence log, Bruce

*Consumer Suggestion: Go to...

I took my 1999 Buick LeSabre to Castaic Auto Performance Center, a fairly new automotive repair company in Castaic, California for a "maintenance" tune-up on July 2, 2008. This was my first visit to this new establishment. I was not sure how long or how many miles it had been since my car's last tune-up, and even though my car was running beautifully, since I plan to keep it for several more years, I try to keep it maintained as a precautionary measure.

When I picked up my car and drove it out of the parking lot, I noticed that it was running very rough, the "check engine" light was lit, and the car was lunging and missing. I know nothing about car repair but do know that if your car is running rough and missing, it is usually the spark plugs. I informed Castaic Auto Performance about my car's condition and reminded them that the engine has been running fine prior to their service. In fact, at idle, you could not feel nor hear the engine because it was so smooth. At they time they asked me to pay $350.00 for the tune-up which I did.

I left my car there again for them to re-check it. When I returned to pick it up, it was parked in the same place. Granted to could have been moved back to the same parking space, but again when I started the engine, I noticed the rough idling and lunging. I again spoke with Castaic Auto Performance Center about how badly the engine was running. I was told "There is nothing wrong with your car!" I was told that the auto repair shop does not guarantee its work. I told them that I was going to have to take it to a Buick dealer to repair the damage they had done.

I took it to Rydell Automotive, a Buick service department in Van Nuys. They thoroughly inspected my car, told me and even gave me written documentation indicating that, not only had Castaic Auto Performance Center installed the wrong type of spark plugs for my vehicle, but that they had installed a severely damaged spark plug. The Rydell service representative assured me that the spark plug had been severely damaged before it had even been placed in my car. He said that it appeared the spark plug may have been "dropped on the floor" before it was installed.

When I had this new information, I called Castaic Auto Performance Center what the Buick dealer service department had discovered. Again I was reminded that Castaic Auto Performance Center does not guarantee any of their work, and I was further told "Go to the Police! Go to the President!" Then they hung up on me.

Rydell Buick, after having checked my car out thoroughly for the damage done by the Castaic Auto Performance Center, of course had to replace all the spark plugs with the proper spark plugs and I was told that when doing tune-ups, Rydell always check each and every spark plug for any damage. I of course paid several hundred more dollars for their diagnostic work and labor and plugs but am happy to report that my car runs as it did before I ever took it to Castaic Auto Performance.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and the Castaic Chamber of Commerce who e-mailed the town council to make them aware of my experience. I am in the process of giving this review on every website available. I would hate to see anyone else go through this expensive, time-consuming, unpleasant learning lesson.

Bruce
Castaic, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2008 04:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Castaic-Auto-Performance-Center/Castaic-California-91384/Castaic-Auto-Performance-Center-Installation-of-wrong-and-damaged-spark-plugs-when-perform-358259. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Castaic Auto Performance Center

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Under New Ownership

AUTHOR: Castaic Auto Performance - (United States of America)

First off I would like to apologize for the experience you had with the previous owner and staff of the old Castaic Auto Performance Center. And would like to introduce myself and staff as the new owner and team of Castaic Auto Performance Center. We hold a much higher standard then the previous ownership.

Here at Castaic Auto Performance Center we strive and succeed in providing superior auto repair and tire services. We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest quality repair standards. Exceeding our clients expectations is at the heart of our organization and every employee. All our techs carry ASE Certifications and are highly experienced in every field of automotive repair and performance.

We stand behind all work preformed. And strive to hold a strong relationship with all of our customers be. Be it an oil change or complete engine rebuild we treat every customer as if you were part of the family, and treat every job with the highest quality repair standards.

When it comes to customer satisfaction there is no limit. Today's average consumer leads a very busy lifestyle and we are here to ensure your vehicle keeps up with you. Our more recent reviews speak to the changes that have been made since I came into ownership of the company.

"Ah road trips.Gotta love 'em.That is unless your car is older than a 2001 model.In that case auto problems will almost always arise.On my way home from Long Beach I found myself with an overheating car and about to take on the grape vine.I pulled into Castaic Auto Performance hoping for an easy fix.Well turned out I needed a new radiator.Their prices are standard but it was the expedited service which really impressed me.Usually a radiator replacement takes a day and a half.These guys had it done in 6 hrs.In fact they close at 5pm but they kept the garage open until 5:30 just to finish my car.Thanks so much guys!"

Were not done with the job until our customers are completely satisfied. Again we apologize for for this horrible situation you experienced. And want to assure you that the new Castaic Auto Performance Center does and will continue to provide the best experience possible for all of our customers.

I know trust once lost is hard to earn back. But I want to assure you that if you choose to bring your vehicle to the new Castaic Auto Performance Center you will be nothing less then impressed by the changes that have been made since your last visit. And I would like to extend my hand as a promise that if you choose to bring your vehicle to the new Castaic Auto Performance Center that you and every customer is treated like a V.I.P.

Castaic Auto Performance Center
www.castaicperformance.com
31531 Ridge Route Road
Castaic, Ca. 91384
(661) 295-3842

Keep a maintanence log, Bruce

AUTHOR: Friendly Help - (U.S.A.)

A small permanently bound book should do for recording all maintanence & repairs. You can buy these for $2.

Date, mileage, by whom, & Summary Description. This should take no more than 3 minutes each time- and will save you a ton of trouble and unneeded expenses.

FYI
Platinum sparkplugs will be good for about 50,000 miles
Irridium sparkplugs will be good for about 120,000 miles

The costs of these plugs are more than standard plugs but you will save a lot on labor costs in the long run, i.e. on a per-mile basis.

The suggestion to use small claims court is excellent. The people you complain about seem to demonstrate the IQ of frogs- or am I giving frogs a bad name?

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Go to...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

""When I had this new information, I called Castaic Auto Performance Center what the Buick dealer service department had discovered. Again I was reminded that Castaic Auto Performance Center does not guarantee any of their work, and I was further told 'Go to the Police! Go to the President!' Then they hung up on me. ""

""I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and the Castaic Chamber of Commerce who e-mailed the town council to make them aware of my experience. I am in the process of giving this review on every website available.""

That's all well and good, but I would suggest you GO TO small claims court. Seems to me you have a hands down winner-sue them for a complete refund of what you paid them for their tune-up. Once you have a judgment against them, feel free to inform the world as to how the court agreed with you.

Get yourself and all your documentation to small claims court and get your money back from them.

Good luck.