Complaint Review: Castletop Cockers

• Updated: Mon, February 18, 2013

• Reported By: PatsEERS — West Virginia United States of America
Castletop Cockers
Internet, New York United States of America

Castletop Cockers Zoe Tice Be aware of this breeder. She will make it sound like she screens her clients so her puppies will go to good homes. This breeder will not give you recent pictures of her litters. Internet, New York

*Consumer Comment: Zoe Tice and Castletop

*Consumer Comment: Zoe Tice

*Consumer Comment: Castletop Cocker Spaniels

*Consumer Comment: Castletop Cockers

*Consumer Comment: Castletop Is the Best!

*General Comment: Poor Quality Cockers

*Consumer Comment: Zoe Tice and Castletop Cockers

*Consumer Comment: Castletop Cockers and Zoe Tice

*Consumer Comment: Castletop Cockers and Zoe Tice

*Consumer Comment: Zoe Tice@ Castletop Cockers

*Author of original report: My story

*General Comment: unjust criticism of this breeder

*General Comment: Recommended Breeder

Be aware of this breeder. She does not take recent pictures of puppies. Almost had me drive eight hours for a puppy that was the wrong color. She seems very unorganized and forgets what she tells you about planned litters. Just wanted to get my story out there and let everyone know to be wary of this breeder.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/28/2011 06:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Castletop-Cockers/Internet-New-York-/Castletop-Cockers-Zoe-Tice-Be-aware-of-this-breeder-She-will-make-it-sound-like-she-scree-710975. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Castletop Cockers

Zoe Tice and Castletop

AUTHOR: mhwoodward - ()

Great, you excuse yourself and continue to advise others to "be wary". My god, please, where is your sense of responsability? I'm sure Zoe sniffed you out as inappropriate for owning one of her dogs. You STILL have not submitted evidence that she derserves your crit!!!

Should you perhaps advise consumers to avoid bleach because it can stain your clothing? Your "story" isn't a story. It is simply a petty complaint and has no value other than that YOU should take a hard look at yourself. If you disagree, I'm waiting for the "story" you want others to hear. OK?

Zoe Tice

AUTHOR: mhwoodward - ()

I totally agree with you. Please see my rebutal to an earlier critic.I have a lovely dog, now 13 and still going. I can't believe the callousness and idiotic commentary faulting Casteltop. Zoe is 74 and loves her dogs. I could give a damn that my dog's linage might contain a flaw in his genes. Might have to gas him if he's a Jew, no?

Castletop Cocker Spaniels

AUTHOR: mhwoodward - ()

Obviously, you are mearly a person who is solely interested in the "value" of a dog in show. OK. But I wouldn't sell you an animal that I bred and cared for. You express nothing but dollar value. I expect you identify with slave owners during the civil war?  I understand that you can regard an animal as a commodity, but it takes true guts to dismiss a caring breeder as irresponsible, simply because they lack your "impeccable taste" in showdogs.

Castletop Cockers

AUTHOR: mhwoodward - ()

I utterly disagree with your eval regarding Zoey Tice. My wife and I purchased a Cocker from her over 13 years ago. She checked our qualifications re: experience as dog and cat owners (what else could she do? Request criminal records and credit reports?) We were invited
to tour her home and met the parents of our new pup. There were Cockers all over the place which we found very amusing, since they were so curious, "merry", and friendly. On a number of occasions, we spent time with "Odie", (his future name) and found him charming. His color was much less important than his personality. Did you even evaluate the dog she offered even though he was the wrong color? Our dog is now just over 13 years old. Our lives wouldn't have been the same without his companionship and love. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Perhaps she was having a bad day or (no offence) she didn't want to sell you a dog because of your attitude. Not too long ago, her website featured her recent litters of Cockers and Mastiffs. She currently has none available, but at least she isn't cranking them out like "puppy mills" do. I would advise anyone not to hesitate to check out her dogs. Can you honestly say purchasing a pup from a store or mill is better than finding one raised in a caring place? Also, your story lacks any telling details (you state you wanted to "get your story out there"). You warn potential buyers to stay away. Why? What's your story other than that you had a unsatisfactory phone conversation? If you really wanted a terrific dog, you should have taken the chance and the journey.

Castletop Is the Best!

AUTHOR: Herb - (United States of America)

I have owned and bred cocker spaniels for more than thirty five years and have owned one of Zoe Tice's Castletop Cockers for just over four years.  I have also not met any breeder ever who does not screen potential owners or reserve the right to decline a sale.  Zoe has been in the dog breeding business for over forty years and certainly knows what she is doing.  When an interested customer makes an appointment and decides to drive however far it is, do not expect a longer drive will negate a negative impression like suspicion of potential abuse or neglect.  Reputable breeders act just like Zoe Tice.  If all she cared about was making a sale, she would have spared you trip and just shipped you the dog.  Instead, Zoe breeds for the best in temperment and breed standards.  Cocker Spaniels love people and they crave company.  If you tell her the dog is going to be alone most of the time because of your work/travel schedule, for example, this could pose a problem for completing a sale.  Our black male Castletop Cocker is the smartest and best mannered dog we have ever had, including the ones we bred ourselves.  As Zoe has gotten older, she may well have become forgetful.  But I certainly hope she's still in business when then time comes to purchase again.

#6 General Comment

Poor Quality Cockers

AUTHOR: Cocker Breeder - (United States of America)

Zoe Tice, of Castletop Cockers is NOT a reputable breeder.  As you can see by the photo of Emily, Zoe is not breeding to the standard for what a cocker should look like.  Liver-nosed buffs are undesireable and are the result of breeding browns to buffs.  ASCOBs (Any Solid Color Other than Black) who have liver-noses are lacking pigment.  It is considered a severe fault in this breed.  For her to claim she has champion breeding stock is ridiculous.  She has not shown any dogs in over 15 years.  Her web site is out of date, the dogs she has photos of are all dead.  She has no recent champions so she keeps the old pictures on her site to mislead the public.  YES, she was an AKC judge at one time, BUT she was asked by the AKC to resign and forfeit her judging license because she was making mistakes with her ring procedure (handing out ribbons to dogs BEFORE she had examined the entire class).  Thankfully an AKC representative was standing ringside and saw her poor judging.  I know a woman who went to her house and said the place was so dirty she did not even want her children sitting on the couch.  Needless to say, she did not purchase a puppy from her.

Sadly, John Q. Public remains uneducated on how to buy a quality, healthy dog.  Read the standard for what a cocker (or any breed that you want to buy) should look like.  Anyone who is breeding dogs that don't conform to the standard is not doing the breed they supposedly love, justice.  If people continue to buy puppies from Zoe Tice  it allows her to stay in the business of breeding poor quality dogs.  I would hardly take a testimonial from her SISTER as validity that this woman is a good breeder.  My suggestion for anyone looking to get a cocker puppy is to look for breeders that do health testing on their breeding dogs.  Annual eye exams for cataracts (CERF-Canine Eye Registry Foundation), OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) testing for hip displasia and a Thyroid Panel (also filed with OFA) are just a few of the most common problems for this breed.  If your breeder is not testing their breeding stock for these ailments then they are NOT reputable.  Also, purchasing a puppy from a breeder that shows their dogs (even though you have no plans or desire to show your dog) is a great way to make sure you have a cocker that is not only "cute" but conforms to the standard for how a cocker should look.  Look for 4 and 5 generation pedigrees that contain ALL champions...THAT'S champion breeding stock.

Zoe Tice and Castletop Cockers

AUTHOR: Emily''s Mom - (United States of America)

I wrote a long review of my dealings with Castletop Cockers and Zoe Tice, which seems to have disappeared.

I know many people who got their Cockers from Zoe and they are all delighted.

We got our cocker Emily from Zoe last February--Zoe sent pictures of Emily and her siblings nursing with their mom and we were able to meet Emily at five weeks old. She kept us updated on her progress.

We took her home at 8 weeks and she is a fabulous, beautiful well bred cocker--great temperament. Obviously Zoe put a lot of work into Emily.

Although I had a falling out with Zoe regarding food, training and boots and coats for dogs in NYC, and an eye issue which has since cleared up, I would highly recommend Castletop Cockers and Zoe to anyone looking for a well bred cocker with a fabulous temperament.

I am shocked at the "beware of this breeder post." Has he ever met Zoe or been at her home?

Zoe puts her heart and soul into these puppies and is very selective in the homes she chooses.

Before I met Zoe I thought a "good cocker breeder" was an oxymoron.

Castletop Cockers and Zoe Tice

AUTHOR: Emily''s Mom - (United States of America)

I know many people who got their Cockers from Zoe and they are all delighted.

We got our cocker Emily from Zoe last February--Zoe sent pictures of Emily and her siblings and we were able to meet Emily at five weeks old.

We took her home at 8 weeks and she is a fabulous well bred cocker--great temperament. Obviously Zoe put a lot of work into Emily.

Although I had a falling out with Zoe re food, training and boots and coats for dogs in NYC, I would highly recommend Castletop Cockers and Zoe to anyone looking for a well bred cocker with a fabulous temperament.

Castletop Cockers and Zoe Tice

AUTHOR: Emily''s Mom - (United States of America)

I ran into this site by accident and was shocked that someone said to watch out for this breeder. Did they actually purchase a dog from Zoe?

I know of six individual families that obtained their cocker puppies from Zoe and are delighted with their dealings with Zoe and their Cockers. That is why we chose Castletop when our beloved Betsy died of cancer last December.

We obtained our latest cocker, Emily, from Zoe last February at 8 weeks. We went to meet Zoe and Emily when she was five weeks old. Prior to this meeting Zoe sent pictures of Emily and her litter mates nursing on their mother.

She kept us updated, with pictures until we took Emily home at eight weeks.

Zoe did some job on our little Emily--she was well socialized, including with children, fabulously sweet temperament. We just adore her and thank Zoe for entrusting this puppy to us.

Zoe is what I referred to as a "character" since is so picky about the homes her puppies go to that it was almost annoying that she spent so much time with me and my husband regarding Emily's care. I am not a novice to the breed and ran a cocker spaniel rescue for many years.

While I had a falling out with Zoe regarding dog food (Emily had too much gas on the food Zoe used and recommended) whether Cockers should wear coats and boots in NYC to protect their paws, and a droopy eyelid Emily had that the vet said needed surgery (second opinion vet said wait until she is a year old and she will probably grow out of it, which she did) and she probably would not sell another cocker to me, I would highly recommend Castletop Cockers and Zoe to anyone looking for a healthy, happy, well bred cocker puppy.

P.S. When I ran the cocker spaniel rescue and refused to place a dog with a family because I did not think it was a good fit these people just could not say enough bad things about our rescue.

Maybe that is what happened with the complaining party here?

Zoe Tice@ Castletop Cockers

AUTHOR: Charles E. Davis - (United States of America)

I have just selected my 4 th Cocker Spaniel puppy from Zoe Tice. My 1st puppy was purchased in 1991 and was a perfect dog. My 2nd 2 were purchased in 2004 and Zoe sent me updated with photos etc.
 Next week I'm picking up another, which I have seen photos of, and I'm sure will be of the same quality as the 1st 3. She is a honest, trustworthy and truly dedicated person to the raising and placement of her dogs.

Charles E. Davis

My story

AUTHOR: PatsEERS - (United States of America)

I am just defending my story. My experience with Castle Top cockers was horrible. Please make sure you get your facts straight when dealing with this breeder.

#12 General Comment

unjust criticism of this breeder

AUTHOR: joy - (United States of America)

Zoe Tice is my sister. I have known her to be only extremely caring for each and every puppy she places. First and foremost, she goes through the process of becoming informed as to the particular situation of the prospective owner, so that owner and puppy will be the best possible fit. Her main concern is that her puppy be placed in a home which will offer a happy, healthful, and safe life to its new member. Sometimes the prospective purchaser has not thought out his/her own reasons for adding to their family, or, the situation may not be safe or appropriate. Zoe educates her puppy buyers in the optimal care of a new puppy. Any reputable breeder will go through a similar process. This is why Zoe has so many repeat clients over the years...some into their third and fourth generation purchases. Those looking for a well-bred, well cared-for puppy can feel confident in having selected a puppy from one of the most conscientious, thoughtful breeders to be found....a former dog show judge, trainer behavior consultant, and one who is interested in keeping the breed true to its roots.

Joy Woodbridge,Ct

#13 General Comment

Recommended Breeder

AUTHOR: Herb - (United States of America)

We purchased a Cocker Spaniel from Zoe Tice at Castletop three years ago.  We found Zoe to be extremely caring and discriminate as most good breeders of purebreeds.  We found that Zoe has been in the breeding business over forty years and she certainly knows what she is doing.  She does not sell to anyone she feels may be neglectful or abusive.  We have ourselves owned Cockers for over thirty years and the puppy we purchased from Castletop is the best we have ever owned in terms of temperament and breed standards.  Castletop's are all championship blood lines.
Speaking for ourselves we would not hesitate to purchase from Zoe or recommend her to anyone who is looking for an excellent quality dog.  When we have been out with our dog in public people are constantly commenting on how smart, good looking, and well-behaved he is.  I am sorry for the person who filed the aforementioned complaint as he/she has missed the opportunity to own a truly fine animal.