Complaint Review: Cavalry Portfolio Services

• Submitted: Wed, December 21, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, December 29, 2005

• Reported By:Los Angeles California
Cavalry Portfolio Services
P.O. Box 27288 Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.

Cavalry Portfolio Services Non-existent Sprint Account Tempe Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Re-ageing

*Consumer Suggestion: WATCH YOUR CREDIT REPORT LIKE A HAWK!!!

As many others have reported on this site, Cavalry is claiming that I have a delinquent Sprint account. I have no knowledge of this account. It could be a case of idenity theft - but Cavalry refuses to send me any basic information about the account, such as the billing address, making it impossible to file a police report. Cavalry tagged my credit report with a "bad debt". I don't understand how they can do this without any evidence.

Jacob
Los Angeles, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2005 01:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cavalry-Portfolio-Services/Tempe-Arizona-85282-7288/Cavalry-Portfolio-Services-Non-existent-Sprint-Account-Tempe-Arizona-168798. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cavalry Portfolio Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Re-ageing

AUTHOR: Harry - (U.S.A.)

The re-ageing of debts is also illegal. This is why you should -never- pay anything to a debt purchaser. It will restart the clock all over again. It is also illegal to have placed a report with a credit reporting agency without having shown proof of the debt.

The current trend is for "companies" like Calvary to purchase old debts of which the statute of limitations are out. Then they sometimes try to sue, hoping that you won't show up, and get a default judgment. Things will probably change for these scavangers soon.

Even if you owed the debt, you are under no moral (and many times legal) obligation to pay a debt purchaser, nor will it help your credit in any way. They are in the business of shaking people down. They buy in bulk of course, but the average $100 debt cost them probably $4 or less. They then try to collect on the full amount. (Enron anyone?)

If you check the Arizona BBB, they show Calvary as a bad business. Everyone should write to the AZ Attorney General and the FTC about this company, because they investigate due to the amount of complaints on a company or industry.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

Calvary will "re-age" things in a heartbeat. I fought with them over the same thing you did, and like your situation, they refused to provide validation. It took a nasty letter from my attorney to get it off my credit report initially....however, it recently popped back on again. I did manage to get it removed again, using the ammo THEY gave me.

I filed a complaint with the California AG. Calvary responded by stating they had "purchased this account from Sprint on or about December 23, 2004."

This was a GOOD thing, because they were caught in a major lie. I had correspondence from them from 2000 and 2002. Hey, it gets even better. I also had old credit reports from 2000-2004, where they re-aged it three times in a two month period, changing the date of last activity by as much as three years. I pulled another credit report last month and they had re-aged it again. I spoke to my attorney and he said for me to give it one more shot before he got involved.

I faxed a rather sweetly sarcastic letter to them on December 10th, thanking them for providing so much evidence for the impending law suit. I also expressed my attorney's appreciation in making his job so much easier. I wished the "law clerk" it was addressed to a very happy holiday and ended with "I hope Santa brings you more than a law suit! :-) "

On Friday the 15th, I received via Certified Mail a response dated the same date, where they agreed "to prevent possible conflict" to delete the tradeline from my credit report and close my file.

My attorney still thinks we have a great law suit and based on the complaints in California alone, is in discussion with his partners about a possible class action. I will keep everyone apprised when the time comes.

#3 Consumer Suggestion