• Report: #197674

• Submitted: Thu, June 22, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, November 17, 2012

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
Cemex
426 N 44th St. Suite 250 Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

Cemex Cement truck busted my windshield...now they won't fix it. Phoenix Arizona

*UPDATE Employee: misinformed motorist

*UPDATE Employee: misinformed motorist

*Consumer Comment: Windshield Claims

*Consumer Suggestion: Dave, I am not sure that is totally accurate.

*Consumer Suggestion: Your rates wont go up

*Consumer Comment: Take it to small claims if you have to.

*Consumer Suggestion: You're lucky you weren't killed

*Author of original report: Cemex Phoenix, Az Safety & Claims Department rip off!

I was traveling West on the 202 from Alma School at 3:20pm. and was following a cement truck keeping a 2+ car lenth behind it. The truck hit a bump in the road (between the 101 and Ruel) doing 70 mph there was a bunch of dust and then a wad of cement hit the ground. It was the size of a tennis ball. It hit my windshield. It scared the hell out of me. I tried to move out of the way but it was too late. I called the 800 number on the truck to report this. Was hoping they would call the driver and he would stop.

I called my wife to get the number for Cemex. I called them and they told me to contact Kathy at the Safety Department. I left her a message with my phone number and details. I'm following the truck blowing my horn to get him to pull over... no luck there. I cant stop a cement truck with my car. This happened on the 16th of May. I got a letter on the 19th of June (a month later) saying my claim was denied due to the incedent was not initiated by any willful act or any negligence commited by CEMEX. We, therefore, cannot be held responsible.

This is such B.S. I shouldn't have to file with my insurance, I pay enough as it is now.

Harold
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/22/2006 06:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cemex/Phoenix-Arizona-85008/Cemex-Cement-truck-busted-my-windshieldnow-they-wont-fix-it-Phoenix-Arizona-197674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cemex

misinformed motorist

AUTHOR: marty.z - (United States of America)

You obviously don't do much outside man work because you don't know the difference between cement and concrete. The truck you claim damaged your windshield was a concrete mixer truck. And what did you expect to accomplish by getting the driver to stop? Did you think he was going to open his wallet and pay for your windshield? It probably would have ended up in a physical altercation with him hinting you and you hitting the ground. The phone number on the door is there for a reason. If you think a crime was committed then call the police but these drivers are told never to stop for idiots like you. I think you got what you deserved somewhere, sometime you did somthing to deserve this.

misinformed motorist

AUTHOR: marty.z - (United States of America)

Windshield Claims

AUTHOR: Vballplayer - (U.S.A.)

I just wanted to inform you that the cement company can't be held Liable for that situation as much as you would like for them to be. Unfortunately that is why the insurance industry offers the Comprehensive insurance is for instances like yours. I work in the insurance industry and I have seen lots of consumers try to go after companies for Windshield damage and to their dismay, they are usually rejected by the companies as if it wasn't a wilful act that caused it then they aren't liable. And your insurance company shouldn't be raising your rates because of a windshield claim!!! It might be possible that you won't be eligible for a more preferred rating though but they cannot surcharge you for windshield claims as those are considered NOT AT FAULT.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Dave, I am not sure that is totally accurate.

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

While I am no expert, I am not sure if that is totally accurate. I will not say my insurance company, however, I had a very similar experience. In a matter of a year, I had two claims of broken glass due to rocks coming from a dump truck and from a concrete truck (lucky that year, huh). Both times I had the company and the truck number. I assumed as you did, that if I turned it into comprehensive, I would be fine. Well, about six months later they said that they were placing me into their high indemnity policy(I think I spelled that correct) due to recent claims. The only claims I had in the last six years (only claims with this company) were those two claims fo rth ewindshield. They both totaled about $750 for both. I called tmy agent and he said that it was as a result of those two claims. The new policy would cost me three times what my current premiums were. I told them where to stick it and went to another company.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Your rates wont go up

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

This is a comprehensive claim, they cannot raise your rates for that. Turn the case over to your insurance company and they will go after the culprits... Meanwhile, you get new glass. Check in Hemmings Motor News for the glass, you will find it there.

Take it to small claims if you have to.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

It's really surprising that the cement company won't pay for the glass.

I drove a truck for years, and we paid for a lot of windshields during that time. The dispatcher would get the info on the truck to make sure the truck was indeed there at the time reported as to eliminate fraud and we'd just tell them to call the windshield guy, and we'd pay the bill. Your own insurance company may pay for it anyways without raising your rates so try calling them too. My neighbor has had two replaced within the last year by the insurance company.

If that doesn't work, ask to speak to Kathy's boss. Paying for broken windshields is just part of the trucking business.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

You're lucky you weren't killed

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

If I interpreted your report correctly, you claimed to be following a cement truck at approximately 70MPH with only TWO CAR LENGTHS between you.

I was taught to leave one car length for every 10 MPH of speed to allow sufficient distance and reaction time to avoid a collision.

Who knows? If the chunk of material which broke your windshield had fallen off while you were maintaining a safe following distance, maybe none of this would have happened.

Perhaps you should just write this off to "tuition in the school of hard knocks" and endeavor to avoid such situations in the future.
Thankfully, you weren't injured.

I'm sure there is a shop in the greater Phoenix Metro area capable of replacing your windshield.

Cemex Phoenix, Az Safety & Claims Department rip off!

AUTHOR: Harold - (U.S.A.)

I own a 1982 Chevolet Malibu Classic, it has 66000 original miles mint condition, an elderly couple bought the car new to drive to church in, and when I bought it it had 49000 miles on it last year. I have been searching the internet for a windshield for my car and can't locate a new one. Any one know of a good lawyer?

It was there negligence that caused this... some one should have cleaned the truck of cement properly. If I was on a motorcycle I would not be here today. If my car was droping rocks and it hit the ground on a buisy freeway and it broke someone's windshield or killed someone I would be responceable because I was negligent...but acording to CEMEX they are not? What about D.O.T. Standards?

I never heard of any LAW that States "It's not my fault it came off my truck and damaged your car. Therefore we cannot be held responsible!" There is no such disclamer posted on the truck, or on any of them for this matter. Is there anything I can do?