1. On or about Oct 24, 2011 Century Link implemented a account past due notification web
page that would be presented to internet user on all web browsing sessions, which were
required to accept to continue.
2. Alleged that I owed $35.00 in past due, which was incorrect as a $35.00 service discount (overbilled) had not been properly applied, thus causing the past due notice to appear. Customer service told me to ONLY pay the amount I actually owed and the billing system would auto-adjust my account.
3. The past due notice kept causing my laptops hard drive to go into a 100% Read/Write
Utilization state, and would also lock up the machine requiring a forced reboot.
4. Once I was able to accept the notice it would go away for about 24 hours, then return, only to
create the same problem. This occurred for approximately 4 days straight.
5. On Oct 28,when I left for work I forgot to close my web browser when I left for work, and the
page I was on refreshed, and the past due page was presented again during my absence,
however I was not there to catch it, and stop the hard drive from essentially running itself into
the ground. When I got home more than 10 hours later my machine was sitting at a Windows
Blue Screen locked up solid, the hard drive light was lit solid, and the machine was so hot that I
could not pick it up. I had to pull the power plug and yank the battery to get it to shut down.
6. On the next power up after it cooled down, everything seemed fine but after about 15 minutes
the hard drive would go into a 100% read/write status, and the machine would blue screen
again. It did this many times finally getting to a point where it was not able to be used.
7. I wrote Century Link a letter and faxed it to them on the evening of Oct 28 asking for them to fix
my computer. They wrote me back on November 1st, denying the claim and pointing me to a
limitation of liability packet. They failed to understand that the damages was caused by a
forced webpage created and owned directly by them.
8. During this time I took it upon myself to have the machine repaired, it cost me $597.66, on
November 18, I wrote them again this time mailing it via USPS Priority mail. Even today I continue to have lasting effects on the computer do the CPU overheating.
9. On November 28, they replied back again denying liability, and stating that I got a virus and
should look into commercial antivirus, and that they had their so-called specialist look at the
identified webpage and that it did not contain any bad code that would damage a computer,
and that they refuse take responsibility for the damages once again pointing me to their
limitations of liability.
10. I filed a complaint with the BBB on 12/2/2011, since then there have been multiple "emails" between myself and them, but the crux is they continue to deny liability.
11. They replied to my lawyer who wrote a letter for me on my behalf, basically saying the same thing as before... I think they must have a cut and paste reply.
12. I warned them via USPS mail that if the issue was not resolved in 30 days I would be filing suit against them.
13. I filed compliant against them with the Corporation Commission and they are investigating.
14. I filed a complaint with the AZ Attorney General office, and they replied to them with the a similar reply they gave my attorney, again denying liability.
15. On Jan 30, the issue came to a head. In AZ we are permitted to not pay a bill if there is dispute over the services that is being investigated. At about 1pm or so, they disconnected my service, which was a real bad situation as my - DirectTV, and Verizon Bill is "combined" through them.
16. This so-called "safe code" as they say contains nothing that can do any damages, I ask then how does it have the ability to "reboot" my DSL modem... they refused to answer me or provide the code to me for inspection, saying it proprietary. What are they hiding? What are they afraid I will see... must be some incriminating evidence they dont want me to see.
When they "shut me down" not only did they cut off my internet service, they cut off all 4 of my Verizon Phones, and my Direct TV service, and being that my home phone service uses OOMA VOIP services that was lost as well, and when services die with that it forwards to my cell phone, which was dead as well.... this also killed my alarm monitoring ability leaving my house at risk for breaking in since it could not "call" if the alarm were to go off.
When I learned of this, the only number I could call was them on my Cell Phone.... so I sat on a call arguing with their agents over the problem, who refused to do anything. This call lasted nearly 1.5 hours. They held my account hostage, and forced me to pay to get things turned back on (keep in mind I am still out over $600, and still have a busted laptop).
They then tell me that after I pay, services are not guarenteed to be turned back on for 2 to 24 hours... what the hell is up with that... you have my "hostage money", and you stilll delay me turning back the services on.
I asked to speak to managers, directors, etc.. and was told they don't take calls.
My next moves, are to:
File a Lien against them.
File a lawsuit.
Expose them publicly.