Complaint Review: Century Link

• Updated: Sun, June 17, 2012

• Reported By: Scott — Surprise Arizona USA
Century Link
100 CenturyLink Drive Monroe, Louisiana United States of America

Century Link Disconnects Service (Phone, Cell, Internet, and DirectTV) even though paid account status with their own confirmation number Monroe, Louisiana

*Author of original report: Payment was not late...

*UPDATE Employee: Consolation

*Author of original report: They DID IT Again! What is up with the company?

This issue stems from when Century Link damaged my property, and costs me no less than $600 in damages, after further investigation and repair estimates the amount is around $1800-2000 of which they fail to take ownership of. But beyond that.

My account had a balance on it, so I paid the the amount due at the end of January over the phone, I was assured that would bring any amounts past due from the disagreements. I then get a another bill in February 2012,  make those payments and make sure the account is paid in full with exception of any amounts due in March which

Now, here middle of the day on February 28th, 2012 they decided to kill all my service - Internet, DirectTV, and Cell Phone. I call them, they verified they got the money, but for whatever reason the computers did not talk to each other and record my payments...again, not my problem... but they are making it my problem. [continued below]....
.....

Now you would expect them to say OK, we screwed up (they did do that much),  but they tell me that its going to take 2 to 24 hours, to restore my services....  All they want to offer me is $50 for my trouble....  and no guarantee as to when the account will be turned back on...

Again, keep in mind, that account was paid up, with exception of amounts due not until March.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2012 02:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Century-Link/Monroe-Louisiana-71203/Century-Link-Disconnects-Service-Phone-Cell-Internet-and-DirectTV-even-though-paid-a-846044. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Century Link

Payment was not late...

AUTHOR: Scott - (USA)

In this case, the payment was not late. They killed the services because the payments failed to process and came back rejected. It was found they the system processed the payments incorrect causing the 2 of 3 payments I made to be sent back. They were all done via Debit/Credit.

I have since split off my DTV and Verizon, and have not had any problems since...crossing my fingers but its only been about 2 months...

The fact of the matter, is yes.. $50 covers what it costs me for service, but I work remotely for my job 100% of the time, and depend on internet services and when it goes down and stays down without my knowledge its make me look bad to my boss.... I work for a $44 billion company, so I had to do some fast talking why I was not online and available to support my customers.

I may switch from DSL to a leased line, it would cost me more, and it would not be sourced by CL...dunno at this time.

Consolation

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

If any Consolation, I take it $50 equals more than the cost of 24 hours worth of service, plus the hour or so to resolve the problem.

Unfortunately I have seen this issue happen in the past, although it is quite rare. I do know how to force the system to read payments on time.

If paying by check, payments take normally 96 hours business time via mail (2 days for delivery and 2 days to process once received.) Checks take 48 hours to process if done electronically over the phone. Credit/ Debit cards take 24 hours business time to process.

I would make sure these payments are made within enough time before interruption date based on those processing times.

If those precautions were made and the system made an "oops," you can always setup automatic payment via checking by calling in and asking for the auto-pay department to send an application via mail or via credit/debit immediately over the phone. That forces the system to acknowledge that payment's are always current.

One thing to keep in mind..If you were ever to separate DirecTV or Verizon from the bill, those amounts can be immediately recognized as one month behind. That is because those carriers tend to bill one month behind on your Century link bill, while Century link bill one month in advanced. As soon as those carriers are seperated, you could have 2 months bills waiting for you on each service because there is one bill out there that Century link delayed billing your internet account, plus current charges.

I know this is frustrating, but hope that helps.

They DID IT Again! What is up with the company?

AUTHOR: Scott - (USA)

I have never in my life seen a company like Century Link that refuses to take ownership of problems it creates for customer.

This time, the bill was paid once again... but for some reason their payment system failed to process it correctly and denied the charges, one of of the "3" payments went through, so when I went to get online on Friday April 27th, my service were turned off again.. I had no internet, or home phone services... but yet I got email confirmations that my accounts were paid.

I spend about 3 hours on the phone dealing with this crappy company wading through muck to reach any sort of a manager, who by the way refuses to talk to customer, same with their department that turns back on services.

They finally admitted that the problem was theirs, and could not answer why the system failed to accept the payments and post them to my account.

They really think they are too big to fail.....