Complaint Review: CenturyLink

• Updated: Mon, February 11, 2013

• Reported By: Jen — Murray Utah United States of America
CenturyLink
Murray, Utah United States of America

CenturyLink Poor service, slower speeds than promised, would not fix...then they got upset when we told them we were switching carriers, disconnected us then sent us straight to collections! Murray, Utah

I never report these issues, but this one has me pretty upset and in awe.  A few months ago we
purchased our first home a few blocks from where we had been renting an apartment.  Having been with CenturyLink for a few months at the rental, we were not fully satisfied with their rate of speed and should have paid more attention to the "up to" when it comes to speed expectations for the
area, however, it worked well enough to handle my online schooling.

After we made our move, not thinking about the effect if would have on our speed (because it was only a few blocks away), I tried taking a proctored online test, which kept cutting me off.  After speaking several times with my school (like tests aren't stressful enough...), they informed me that my upload speed was way too low.  It needed to be at a minimum 1mbps, but I was actually getting less than half of that.  After contacting CenturyLink to see what the issue was, they said that this area is a bit lower in speed compared to a few blocks over where we came from and there was nothing they could do, no better plans, no better equipment to use.  Upset that the only reason we even started using them in the first place was the speed needed for online schooling was "acceptable". Now we were left with a carrier who really served no purpose.

My husband battled with the gentleman on the phone for a bit, at which time the rep stating that it wasn't their fault we moved, and my husband responded that is wasn't our fault their service isn't up to par.. when the conversation finally got heated enough for my husband to tell him we will just switch to another carrier,  the gentleman on the other line said "Fine, you will be shut off by the end of the day"...then hung up.  Next thing I know we are disconnected and I have a bill sent to collections a week later for over $200.00.

I could dispute and battle and do everything in my power to fight this, but I cannot afford to have this on my credit, nor do I have the energy or time to do so. So, I will pay it to get them out of my life but definitely advise anyone thinking of going with CenturyLink to seriously research claims against them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2013 10:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CenturyLink/Murray-Utah-84107/CenturyLink-Poor-service-slower-speeds-than-promised-would-not-fixthen-they-got-upse-1012278. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CenturyLink