I responded to Centurylink's advertisement for internet service at 7 mbs having only 5 mps from my then cable provider. I went through the web site and it constantly funneled me back to the same spot I started. There popped up a number that offered assistance if I was having trouble navigating, after two weeks of getting nowhere I called. I was promised the deal on the net which gave $5 dollars of six months and a $50 give card which would be given in credits on my account. I asked very pointed questions relating to the speed in my immediate neighborhood. I was told it averaged 7 mbs now but the area was scheduled for an up grade and would be getting 12 mbs.
I was told I could purchase or lease a modem/router. I did not want to pay $5 a month so I bought a fairly expensive unit. That was a big mistake. No superior equipment could do anything for my problem. When I went onto their test site I found I was only getting 1.8 mbs so I called tech support. Not knowing I clean my browser daily cookies and all they started to blame the computer. Then came the analysis that I had devises connected (phones) to the phone lines. Told that without filters on every line I would never get up to speed. I am not stupid so I countered that I could remove all impedance by disconnecting every devise. That don they read my download speed and nothing had changed. They asked when they could send a tech to my house, the appointment time meant time out of work. It came and went no show no call.
Countless discussions and a couple of emails and no satisfaction. Upon receiving my second bill the charge for their centurylink@ease
was still being assessed. I called and the CS agent asked me how I liked the service. I know she wished she had not asked. After she heard my story she said she would do some checking. She came back on line and told me that I couldn't expect much better speed because I was in a congestion area and an upgrade was not even in the works for the near future. This was fraud and someone needs to be accountable.