• Report: #401990

• Submitted: Tue, December 16, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, December 16, 2008

• Reported By:Glenwood City Wisconsin
Certegy Check Services
P.O. Box 30046 Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

Certegy Check Services RipOff Check Scams Tampa Florida

In late November, 2008, I got gas at a local gas station. I found out that on December 1 and again on Dec. 2nd, the gas station had charged my account for the same amount, over $50, erroneously.

I contacted my bank, and they took care of the second charge for me, or so I thought.

I got a nasty phone call from Certegy on December 15th at 8:30 p.m. The man on the other end told me my check had not cleared, and that I'd better make good on it. I tried to explain what had happened and that it was taken care of. He would not listen to me, threatened me, stating that it would be on my credit report, etc., and be very harmful for me not to pay in full directly to his company.

I gave the phone to my husband who got nowhere with this fellow, and he hung up on him. I have caller ID, so called the company back. By this time my hsuband and I thought it all a scam. I requested the companies full name, address, etc., and was refused by the woman who answered the phone. I requested that I speak to a manager, and was again denied. I told her that I was going to contact the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General's office where I lived. She just laughed at me and said that they would be sending me a certified letter outlining what I had to do to pay them and that I'd better, or my credit would be ruined.

I told her to never contact me again, and hung up.

They are a horrible company. I called my bank, and they said it was all taken care of. I called another store affiliated with the store where I had purchased gas (I couldn't call that store directly, because in the meantime that store had just been sold and wasn't even the same ownership!!). This gas station finally helped me, but their headquarters who called me back was defending Certegy, etc. They listened to me, but said I had to understand where Certegy was coming from, and that they were trying to get money from me and their "codes" didn't let them know that I had been charged twice in error, so they just thought I didn't pay it. They also told me to never contact my bank, that I should just go through them (the gas station) in the future and not even let my bank know!!!!!

I certainly will let my bank know, and will never again buy gas at this store. The store charged my account twice in error, and then sicked their goons on me at 8:30 at night while my kids were trying to go to bed. What a joke. They should not do business with Certegy.

Don't ever have anything to do with Certegy. The only way I found out their actual name and address was that the gas station clerk told me. Certegy are just a bunch of thugs!!!!!

Glenwood City, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2008 01:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Certegy-Check-Services/Tampa-Florida/Certegy-Check-Services-RipOff-Check-Scams-Tampa-Florida-401990. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Certegy Check Services