Complaint Review: Certegy

• Submitted: Wed, August 01, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, February 29, 2008

• Reported By:Oxnard California
Certegy
11601 Roosevelt Blvd N Saint Petersburg, Florida U.S.A.

Certegy - Certegy Check Services Denied my check without cause Ripoff Saint Petersburg Florida

*Consumer Comment: debit card

*Consumer Suggestion: Just to play devils advocate for a sec

*Consumer Suggestion: DOWN WITH THESE SCUMBAGS

On 07-07-07 I visited Sear Department store to make a purchase. The rep told me my check needed approval through their approval company "Certegy" She called, and I had to wait for 10 minutes. After she called I was told my check was not approved. She gave me Certegy's phone #, so I called and spoke to a rep. I was told by "the rep" that I had no bad checks with them, and she looked at my bank account and it was fine. I had enough money to cover the check. But because i had written three checks the day before at stores they cover, they decided I had written enough checks and would not allow me another one?? I asked how in the world they were able to look at my personel bank account without my permission, and she would not tell me. I then asked why they would deny my check if I had enough money, she said it was up to their descretion, and they could deny anyone they wanted to.

"I have no bad check, I have enough money,, and THEY denied me... So I have to ask how and why would any store use a service that decides who, and when people can write checks. "Certegy had no right getting into my personal information" I wish to make a report based on the fact that they did not get my permission to review my bank account, and that they made a judgement on me without the rights to do so...

Diane
Oxnard, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2007 06:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Certegy/Saint-Petersburg-Florida-33716-2202/Certegy-Certegy-Check-Services-Denied-my-check-without-cause-Ripoff-Saint-Petersburg-Fl-264666. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Certegy

debit card

AUTHOR: Pardel - (U.S.A.)

You state to use a debit card instead of a check, however, if you read through these threads you will see it does not matter if it is a debit or paper check. Seems this company is still denying people to pay by check.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Just to play devils advocate for a sec

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Sears and other companies pay these folks to protect them against bad checks. Don't you think you should talk to Sears management and let them know your problems. Tell them about the money they lost because you did not make a purchase at their store. Search thru some of these other threads and have other folks do the same.

Certegy and Telecheck's loyalty is to the clients who are paying for their services not the consumer who is writing the check. They are doing what they are being paid by these companies to do - GUARD THEM AGAINST THEFT. Not saying you are dishonest or had any intention of doing anything wrong.

Talk with your bank. They can tell you the first thing someone does when they steal a checkbook is write as many checks as they can before the theft is reported by the victim. An easy way to deal with this is to use a debit card from your bank. I know they can sneak up on you sometimes but if you keep track of your purchases you shouldn't have to much of a problem.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

DOWN WITH THESE SCUMBAGS

AUTHOR: J Fox - (U.S.A.)

I too was unethically not allowed to use a good check. I too do not have a history of any bad checks and had plenty of money but I was denied twice. I am frustrated because I have filed complaint with the BBB but no response.

Best of luck.