Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Tue, September 26, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, September 26, 2006

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
Charter One Bank
charterone.com Cicero, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-242-7837
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank ripoff, unfair business practices Cicero Illinois

It was about a year ago that I had a checking account with Charter One bank. I'm really not sure how it happened, but I was overdrawn one month to the tune of $150.00 - This was three checks, plus a $35 overdraft fee per check.

The following month I was overdrawn again this time almost $300 and it kept going on week after week.
Customer service agents basically said "You need to be more careful." Since I had direct deposit, I was basically working for a dead horse. - The final month I was overdrawn nearly $900 because Charter One stopped accepting my direct deposits. I had three payroll checks returned saying "Account Closed"

When I questioned this, the customer service rep said "We have the right to refuse any deposit, for any reason." I basically told them "sue me."

Fair warning to all people reading this: Don't bank with them, I don't care if they're right outside your front door. It's not worth the migrain.
PS Since their advertising has pictures of people saying "Hello!" When I left them, I gave them a picture of me saying "Good-Bye!"

Michael
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2006 07:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Cicero-Illinois-60804/Charter-One-Bank-ripoff-unfair-business-practices-Cicero-Illinois-212910. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank