Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Tue, July 06, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, July 06, 2004

• Reported By:wethersfield Connecticut
Charter One Bank
P.O. Box 94804 Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.
  • Phone: 877-877-TOP-RATE
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank RIP OFF TAKES YOUR $$ and then you can't get them on the phone! ROCKY HILL CONNECTICUT

I was getting fed up with my bank, they used to be a small bank, and then they were taken over by Banknorth. I was lloking around for a place for my checking and savings, and to open a home equity line of credit. I found these folks on the internet and I called about their line of credit and they sounded so great I authorized them to deduct $50 by wire from my savings account to open a checking account there. About 10 days (Yes 10 days) later I got signature cards in the mail for me and my husband.

They were riddled with errors, they had given us both my husbands social secuirty number and numerous other errors. W went down to the branch, and nobody knew what they were doing. We filled out a lot of paperwork and asked to cancel the application for our line of credit. Well, they couldn't cancel our application they told us to call the 800 number. No one there will take our call or call us back. We've tried for weeks to talk to someone. We got a bad feeling and decided not to go ahead with the accounts.

I've never received any checks or debit cards in the mail so today I went to the branch, and I told them I wanted to close the checking account. Well guess what, it costs $50 to close a checking account, exactly what was in there, how curious. They said the account has to be open for 4 months to close it for free. First time I ever heard that line before.

Morgan
wethersfield, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/06/2004 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Cleveland-Ohio-44101/Charter-One-Bank-RIP-OFF-TAKES-YOUR-and-then-you-cant-get-them-on-the-phone-ROCKY-HIL-97748. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank