Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Thu, December 13, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, December 18, 2007

• Reported By:Troy Michigan
Charter One Bank
1215 Superior Avenue Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank How Charter One ruined my Christmas Cleveland Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Happened to me also!!

*Consumer Comment: Looks Like Fraud to Me

I am writing to make you aware of an incident that recently occurred to me. On or about December 3rd of this year, I noticed that while I had over $5,000.00 in my checking account, I had a negative available balance. I called the toll-free number and was told I had over $7,000.00 in holds from some consultants. I advised the individual I was talking to that they were not valid holds and that the bank should not pay them. To make a long story short, the bank paid anyway and now I am out over $7,200.00 (see attached).

I expect that I will recover all that money, however, why would the bank pay 3 withdrawals from Dubai in the amounts of $2,900, twice in the same day and an additional $900.00? Especially after I warned that they were fraudulent charges?

Now their collections department is calling me asking where the payment is for the overdraft.

Now that is a great bank---NOT!

Nicator
Troy, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/13/2007 09:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Cleveland-Ohio-44114/Charter-One-Bank-How-Charter-One-ruined-my-Christmas-Cleveland-Ohio-291238. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank

Happened to me also!!

AUTHOR: Jillian - (U.S.A.)

I'm fighting with Charter One now on charging fees on charges being held in the Available Balance! They've charged me $266 which isn't as much as yours but still that's A LOT of money around Christmas and for me! I got paid Friday and spent money on Christmas and checked my account Saturday to find out they charged me $152 in fees on the available balance. That means they charged me on holds, not things that came through my account and the charges came in the day before I got paid.

Everyone knows that if you use your debit card today yes it comes off your available but it does not come off your current balance which is positive and that charge will not show up in your account for a few days. So because they charged me $152 the day before I shopped but not knowing about those fees it put my available balance in negative again so they charged me $114 more! It's just going to continue becuase I'm getting negatives from THEIR FEES!! I hate this bank and I'm switching banks this week. I made a complaint to the better business bureau.

They're ridiculous!! Jim's right don't talk to the customer service reps, all they do is read scripts on situations and have the capacity of a stone as far as leverage in making decisions. Ask for a supervisor and watch them squirm! Ugh!!! I just want my money back!!

Looks Like Fraud to Me

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Telling a bank anything verbally is worthless. It will not stop a transaction from occuring - the bank operates on written communication only. They received written notification to issue the wire; to tell them verbally not to do it would be improper. What you need to do is file a fraud report with the bank if these were fraudulent transactions. You need to do this immediately!! It will probably take about 30 days to resolve and you will probably have the money returned to you. In the meanwhile, keep a copy of the fraud report and send it to whomever at the bank calls you next - that will stop the calls.

Best of luck - the whole situation really stinks.