Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Sat, July 17, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, December 20, 2005

• Reported By:columbus Ohio
Charter One Bank
charteronebank.com Indianapolis, Indiana U.S.A.
  • Phone: 877-charter
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank Denied, now homeless Indianapolis Indiana

*Consumer Comment: I feel your pain

*Consumer Comment: Charter One practices appalling

*UPDATE Employee: overdraft fees

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: It is quite obvious that you Brian are an employee of COB.

*Consumer Comment: It seems that you have some issues that need to be resolved

*Consumer Comment: Good of you to point out my fault

*Consumer Suggestion: To Miss Tupper Lake.....

*Consumer Comment: I'M with you I.I.

*Consumer Comment: No, I Don't...

I recently moved to Ohio after opening an account with Charter One in Indiana. I saw no reason to find a local bank as Charter One was already set up as my direct deposit bank and My checks were good. What happened though was all due to my request for an overdraft protection on my checking account. This as we all know, is the protection offered by a bank in the case of an overdraft. I was denied.

Living in another state now caused my information to become hard to retrieve. At one time my account would say I had sufficent funds for daily life, the next day it would say otherwise. I overdrew my account by one cent, causing the bank to charge me 33.00 in fees. Even though, I put 20.00 in the bank that day to cover any overatures, I was still charged. I was told that the 20.00 would more than take care of the penny. It did, and it was supposed to cover the other five transactions made that day totaling 18.74.

Little did I know however that I would be charged five more times the 33.00 fee. This caused my account to be over drawn by 198.00 plus another fee of 33.00 for non sufficient funds to cover the 198.00. I deposited 200.00 the next day from work with the balanced check book in front of me totaling 201.26. That weekend, I went out. I stopped for gas, 20.00. Went out to eat, 7.00. Saw a movie, 8.00. Went out dancing, 25.00. On the way home I stopped for food again, 8.00. That night totaled 68.00, but then there were the fees for nonsuffieient funds that were only made clear to me two days after they had withdrawn my account.

To break it down.-I had left the bank with the secure feeling that I had covered any loss I may have encountered, the next day I deposited more than enough money for the night out. In the end, I came out negative 99.00 plus five more fees of 33.00. Total for the night, 264.00. All caused by an over draft of .01 cent.

Now, this all happened in the course of two days. By the time I recieved any notice that I had over drawn at all, I had used my debit/credit card a total of ten more times for things such as toothpaste, gas, food and other everyday needs. I only then found out that I not only had no money but I owed the bank. Not to mention the other fees totalling 330.00 plus the 50.00 in goods. Total 664.00, and then there was a 33.00 fee for having a negetive ballance for four days. total 697.00.

WOW! The bank has just made more off me in four days than I make in THREE WEEKS! When I called about this, they said that I was simply living over my means. By whose standards? This was a mistake that could have been avoided, steps were taken to avoid this and yet I am now using a library computer to type this complaint because I have been evicted from my appartment and my car is on it's way of being reposessed. On top of this, the bank is still charging me 33.00 every four days that I don't have this account paid in full.

Does, anybody at Charter one feel bad about this? Can anybody at Charter One help me? To be honest, I havent seen any "R"'s in all my fee's.

Joshua
columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2004 10:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Indianapolis-Indiana-46256/Charter-One-Bank-Denied-now-homeless-Indianapolis-Indiana-99320. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank

I feel your pain

AUTHOR: Amanda - (U.S.A.)

It really doesnt matter if others feel you lived above your means, and its not any of the banks buisness to comment on your situation. They dont know whats going on in your life- if there was somethign or not, and I dont believe its good customer service to judge others. Working at a bank Ive noticed the inside secrets, if you have money- your buisness is much more important. PERIOD! A representative could have easily considered what had happened and given you a credit on the fees- EASILY. happens everyday. The representative for the bank- IE, manager or teller, also should have been able to see, or call for the information to see if anything was pending on the account. I had seen an irresposible person- who happened to work for a local weather station here in Indy come in and complain about not being able to make it to the bank, had incurred over 600 in fees. It was like nothing happened. He was back out of the office depositing his 1300. check and out the door. Its discrimatory and anyone with money who has gotten their self out of a pickle by just their status has no room to comment. They dont even understand what its like to be held accountable for your every little mistake when credits are so readily offered. If you dont care about your credit, which seems like its been flawed already, then tell them to stick their fees where the sun dont shine. Eventually after some time, they will send you a letter offering a settlement. People are pricks and unfortunately its not any easier for the ones that live pay check to paycheck. And one more comment to the people that claim he was frivilous. If he took the necesary steps to check with his account, redeposit the money and then go and have a little fun- who are you to say he cant. He works for his money and if going out on the town a night is too much then what do you recommend he does, never go out till hes got a good 10k in his account? Everyone is a critique!

Charter One practices appalling

AUTHOR: Dar - (U.S.A.)

My line of work requires that I view, on a daily basis, people's bank statements. I have never seen a bank cause the hardship that Charter One imposes on their clients (victims). I am so appalled, that I make it a point to tell each and every one of my clients to stay away from Charter One, and if they already have an account with them to close it asap!

First of all, let me say that I do not use checks at all, do NOT keep a register and I have only over-drawn my account twice in the last ten years. On one of these occassions, the over-draft was less than 5.00, and my bank covered the payment and did NOT charge a NSF, and I didn't have to ask!

Suffice it to say that I know what's in my account. I also know however, that if I tried to use my cash card for a purchase/payment that is more than my account balance, the bank will DECLINE such purchase/payment....NOT SO with Charter One. They will allow the withdrawal so that they will get that 33.00 every few days until the account is brought back into the positive.

Charter One is new to my area....they have set up in the only grocery store in the city and suck people in with their offer of a "FREE" George Forman grill, or a "FREE" gift certificate or $50.00 "FREE"........free my A**!!!

The neighborhood that they have set up in consists of mostly system-dependent people (welfare, unemployment, social security)most of whom have no bank 'savvy'. These people walk into the grocery store wondering how they will feed their children for the next few days with the $15.00 they have left in their pocket and walk right into this "FREE" offer........that "FREE" $50.00 sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

A few weeks later, they get their first statement in the mail and they are shocked to find a negative balance of HUNDREDS of dollars! How is that? Well.......they made the deposit of $10.00 and got 50.00 "FREE"........they signed up for direct deposit and and started to call the 1-800 number twice a day to see when their child-support check was deposited........they went to the grocery store and spent $50.00 which over-drew the account because the account was charged EVERY TIME THEY CALLED THE 1-800 #--but the purchase went through, and not knowing the account was overdrawn (remember the $60.00?) they stopped on the way home for gas--another over-draft, but the card went through......so now there are two over-drafts that have been accumulating NSF charges for weeks. Yes the child-support check finally direct deposited, but it did not cover the total over-drawn balance (needless to say, the children went without). So that "FREE" $50 actually ended up costing close to $300.00.

This is a true story, I have the statement to prove it..........and this is only one of the many I've seen for myself. These people were NOT advised of these charges when opening their accounts--oh, I'm sure it was in the fine-print somewhere and the bank will claim no legal responsibility-- but what about moral responsibility? They target these people directly and take full advantage of them.

Anyone with any banking sense will, I'm sure, stear clear of Charter One.

I'm actually watching for a class-action suit..........

overdraft fees

AUTHOR: Heather - (U.S.A.)

Mike:

I'm sorry but I agree with Brian's statements, maybe not his tone, but overdraft fees are what happens when someone spends more money than they have in their account.

Charter One's processing is like this:
In the overnight hours, all Branch deposits, ACH (direct) deposits, ATM deposits made before 3pm Eastern, online transfers before 6pm and phone transfers before 7pm are CREDITED to the customer's accounts. (these times are approximate--customers should try not to push the limits in case of computer outages, etc.)

Then all debits (card, check, ACH, transfers out) are processed highest to lowest (per the Account Rules and Regulations).

If at this point, the account is in the negative (even by a penny), overdraft fees are assessed at $33.00 PER ITEM! It is the CUSTOMER'S responsibility to make sure that the account does not go into overdraft.

And even worse, if the bank decides NOT to pay the item (at the Bank's discretion), the item will be returned NSF with a $33.00 fee.

If you make a mistake and overdraft your account, either call customer service or contact your local branch and POLITELY request a fee reversal. They may be able to reverse fees at your request. If you're yelling at the tellers/agents, they will be more apt to try to "blow you off". Hey, I'll work with you if its your first mistake and you don't scream at me!

Regarding the purchase by Citizen's Bank: this is a postive move for Charter One customers. Citizen's has awesome customer service and are planning on keeping most of our current products and enhancing several others.

I SINCERELY HOPE THIS HELPS OUR CUSTOMERS! PLEASE READ YOUR ACCOUNT RULES AND REGULATIONS!
IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, REQUEST IT AT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH!

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

It is quite obvious that you Brian are an employee of COB.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Brian, You should know better. You work for the bank dude! Admit it! No one in their right mind gets that red in the face over someones complaint unless they work for the company being reported. Your not as sly as you thought!

Any way, I do agree that most fees are caused by consumer error. Charter One could be a little more forgiving though. What will they be like now that another bank bought them? Could be good news, could be bad. They are more than doubling in size, may be one of the only banks left eventually.

It seems that you have some issues that need to be resolved

AUTHOR: Brian - (U.S.A.)

Poor Brian. It seems that you have some issues that need to be resolved, or you're a bill collector that feels the need to download your frustrations on people you veiw as less than yourself. That being stated, you must view yourself as quite the "Man." Your life is most likely worse than that of Joshua's.

My response is to both you and Joshua. First off, Joshua you did live beyond your means. You need to under stand that for every penny you make, you have to be accountable for it. If not, the bank will take it and charge you 33.00 for the convenience of taking your money. You also need to know that no financial institution can make unreasonable demands such as "Paid In Full" on matters such as these. Now, don't go and "Blow your Wadd" just because I said that. This is just one of those cases that the law is on your side. If you ask to make payment arrangements and Charter One refuses, they are susseptable to an AUDIT... and that's not something that any Bank really want's, right Brian?

Brian, your turn. Be carefull what you say. You might be living in a dumpster soon yourself. Everything you say and do comes back to you. It's called... well you know, after all you're the "Man."

#6 Consumer Suggestion

#7 Consumer Suggestion

#8 Consumer Suggestion

That was funny Jeannie. You made my day.

Good of you to point out my fault

AUTHOR: Jeannie - (U.S.A.)

I'd like to avoid too much on the Tupper Lake issue thanks. However considering you brought it up, it's a nice mountain area with some people wise enough not to get into a pissing contest with a skunk.

Good of you to point out my fault, When I clearly pointed out my own error.

What I was looking for was a rebuttal to my point that it's a questionable practice to use funds (MY MONEY)which was deposited to pay off larger checks than to pay off smaller ones.
I'll restate what happened.
Can you avoid the trashing and make a suitable rebuttal for the bank?

All six outstanding checks cleared the same day. No more were written on my account. The funds were sufficient to cover all of the smaller checks (5)and only one would not have cleared. Instead the bank paid the larger one and did not clear the others(5)($165.00 in fees vs. $33.00). My question again is, what is right with that?

#10 Consumer Suggestion

To Miss Tupper Lake.....

AUTHOR: Brian - (U.S.A.)

You seem irresponsible with your bank account as well... Perhaps this is the price you pay for your irresponsibility.

Speaking of Tupper Lake, seems like they teach more sex ed up there than math or english. So, what trailer park do you live in?

I'M with you I.I.

AUTHOR: Jeannie - (U.S.A.)

Ok! Brian, point made...Maybe we need to be more careful with balances. However, I do keep tract of my account and will cover checks after I have spent the money. Charterone allows this up to 500.00. And it's understood the money needs to be there the day the checks post. Problem is when I knew i was ovedrawn, I placed a deposit sufficient to cover 5 small checks and expected the larger to cost me 33.00. Charter one in all it's glory pays the larger check first.

This covered the larger of the six and bounced the 5 smaller ones costing me 165.00. Tell me what's right about that? My response from Charter one was that most people want larger checks covered because it may be a significant payment IE: landlord, Car payment ect. and don't want those returned unpaid. BullS... Had my balance overdrawn 500.00 d/t a car payment ect. and charter one covered it , I would have had 5 checks returned unpaid instead of 5 paid and one returned. You tell me what looks worse. They got 165.00 vs. 33.00 it's a racket plain and simple.

No, I Don't...

AUTHOR: Brian - (U.S.A.)

Seems to me like you did live over your means...

You went dancing on a negative balance, went to a movie on a negative balance, and did some other stuff on a negative balance.

You sound like you keep no checkbook register at all and you look at your checkbook like you do junk mail.

If you don't keep a balance daily in a register, you're GOING to overdraw. It doesn't matter if it's for 1 penny or 100 dollars, the federal banking commission gives the bank a right to hold you responsible and charge you a fee.

Also, an overdraft can be considered a federal offense. STOP BREAKING THE LAW! Find a nice cozy dumpster and learn your lesson.