Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Thu, May 27, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, June 03, 2004

• Reported By:Lockport New York
Charter One Bank
South Transit RD Lockport, New York U.S.A.
  • Phone: 877-charter
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank, deceptive, late Statements, Took Money from me for their mistake ripoff Lockport New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Charter One stop picking on New Yorkers and go back home where you belong!

I am a full time college student and I have a full time job, so you can guess that money is hard to come by. My credit report is flawless and I have never bounced anything in my life.

One day I get a call from an charter one saying that my bank account is overdrawn 780.00 and I know that this is wrong because I deposited 1000.00 from my student loan and never made a withdrawl and when I explained this to the woman she just wanted me to cough up money. After 3 hours on the phone with these people they realized they had made an error and it was someone elses bank account that this bounced check came from and it somehow hit mine.

They promised to credit the money back to me and said that this would happen in 3-5 business days. when I checked back in 5 days so that I could take the money out to pay the rent it was never corrected and the bank sold the acct to an attorneys office so now I lost 1000.00 and still owe 750.00.

I am sick about this,and no one seems to be able to help me. Thank god my landlord is understanding. Not to mention I can not afford to pay this and now I am in chex system and that is devastating because I never did anything wrong. So i can not open a bank acct.

Leah
Lockport, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/27/2004 12:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Lockport-New-York-14094/Charter-One-Bank-deceptive-late-Statements-Took-Money-from-me-for-their-mistake-ripoff-93152. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Charter One stop picking on New Yorkers and go back home where you belong!

AUTHOR: Diane - (U.S.A.)

Leah in Lockport, NY I am in Buffalo and I had a problem with Charter One and won.

Immediately contact NY Banking Commission, the federal OCC and FTC, also contact Eliot Spitzer the State Attorney General.

Mr. Spitzer is very aware of banking frauds, like this.

You noted that Charter One misapplied that check to your account, were you able to get anything in writing from them? They also advised you that the error was sent to an attorney. Contact him as well.

One thing I have learned when it comes to banks, lenders and servicers you need a paper trail, document even your phone calls, especially the person's name time and date.

Your problem is just one of the many problems these money grubbers are doing to the American public.

God Bless you in your struggle, but truth always wins, Charter One needs it's hand slapped.