Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Thu, September 16, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, September 19, 2004

• Reported By:Hudson Ohio
Charter One Bank
Broadway Avenue Maple Heights, Ohio U.S.A.
  • Phone: 216-298-7579
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank A bank teller withdrew $400 from my account The teller was fired 4 days later Bank has not returned money Maple Heights Ohio

*Author of original report: New Owners, Citizen Financial, have returned the stolen $400

*UPDATE Employee: I'd like to help

*Consumer Suggestion: Did You Try The District Attorney?

A Charter One Employee withdrew $400 from my checking account on July 27, 2004 at the Maple Heights branch that I've never banked at. The teller was fired 4 days later. I question the $400 withdrawal when I receive my bank statement on August 7. I signed an affidavit of forgery at the bank. I filed a police report on August 13. I couldn't file it any earlier because it took that long for the bank to give me a copy of the teller withdrawal slip.

I have done everything I was suppose to do. The bank admits the teller took the money and has been fired. So it's almost 2 months and my money has not been returned. I think my money should be returned with interest. I have not lost any of my ID, checks etc. I did not cause this problem. This is the Bank's responsibility for their lack of background checks on their employees and sloppy business practices. I have called every avenue of the bank and even contacted Citizens Financial who has recently bought Charter One Banks. Can anyone help me?

Eileen
Hudson, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2004 02:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Maple-Heights-Ohio-44236/Charter-One-Bank-A-bank-teller-withdrew-400-from-my-account-The-teller-was-fired-4-days-108748. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank

New Owners, Citizen Financial, have returned the stolen $400

AUTHOR: Eileen - (U.S.A.)

This is additonal info to my original report. On 9/23 I finally got a copy of the typed statement that I gave the Maple Heights Police by calling them every 20 minutes after 8pm to 12:30am. After speaking with the Maple Heights Detective on Friday I found out that Charter One was NOT allowed to withhold my money until the bank received the police report. I went to my Hudson Branch and spoke to the Bank Manager, who claimed this was the first time he was hearing about the theft from my account!Why wouldn't the teller inform his manager that I filed a theft and forgery affadavit? I am suspicious of all the tellers now. I tried to contact the president of Charter One but he no longer has his job because Citizens Financial bought out Charter One. I spoke with an aide to the president of Citizens Financial Bank and also contacted their Consumer Affairs Department. Citizens Financial took the action necessary to have the $400 returned to my account within 24 hours of my contacting them. If anyone else has a problem with Charter One, call Citizens Financial Consumer Affairs 800-553-8981.

I'd like to help

AUTHOR: Julie - (U.S.A.)

I am an employee of Charter One and if I can would be glad to help you. Could you tell me what they are telling you as to why this money has not been put back in your account? It's unfortunate that this occured, but can I just say that not all employees are like this. I have been with this bank for over 4 years and have never been tempted. Some of us value our careers more than quick money that is not ours. If you could let me know more specifics I might be able to get you some answers. If you don't want to post to much personal info, let me know and I can give you the # for my branch. It is in New York, but I would still to help.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Did You Try The District Attorney?

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

If this money was stolen from the bank (and from your description, it was), did you take the police report to the DA and file charges? That may get the bank motivated. You might also try the media with this one. You may not have been the only person who was "robbed" and getting the word out will have everyone who banks at Charter One in your area checking their bank statements carefully.