Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Sat, December 22, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, January 08, 2008

• Reported By:Oak Park Illinois
Charter One Bank
Charterone.com Oak Park, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank Fees for using credit portion of Debit card Oak Park Illinois

*Author of original report: Ugh

*Consumer Comment: Ugh.

*Consumer Suggestion: Pending authorizations do not necessarily get debited from your account.

*Consumer Comment: Where to begin...

I checked my online bank account and found that I had been charged $238. in insufficient funds fees, I didn't understand why because my account was not overdrawn. I spoke with Charter One who explained to me that I had used the credit portion of my debit card and there wasn't enough money in the account at the time I used the card. I asked why they didn't decline the card and was told they didn't want to embarrass me and technically I should be aware of my account balance. I believe I should be the person making the choice as to whether I am "embarrassed" or not. I have not been given that choice, because I would say embarrass me! They think they are doing me a favor by charging me a $38 fee for each transaction they accept, some for less than $20, why would I want to do that. I thought that the credit portion worked like any credit card if you reach your limit they decline the card. They are the BIG benefactors here and I cannot believe this is legal. I was told they sent me a disclosure statement in my lastc checking account statement, unfortunately I didn't open that statement and I am quite sure that they spell out Very clearly that they will keep accepting charges even though you don't have the money in your account. Charter One has changed so many of its policies in the last year, I cannot possibly keep up with them. So I am being charged insufficient funds fees for money that was put on hold by a company but they have not yet paid out, this is insane.

I will be changing banks and I will be contacting whoever they are regulated by as well.

Eileen
Oak Park, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/22/2007 11:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Oak-Park-Illinois-60304/Charter-One-Bank-Fees-for-using-credit-portion-of-Debit-card-Oak-Park-Illinois-293855. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank

Ugh

AUTHOR: Eileen - (U.S.A.)

For Bart.

It must be lonely in your world of perfection. I posted this out of anger but also in the hope that it didn't happen to someone else. It is difficult to keep up with the changes at this bank. This is a new policy instituted just in time for the holidays. I have banked at this location for seven years and this is the fifth bank to takeover and chanage all of the policies. I keep good records and have never had problems before. The debit/credit card was a nice convenience and I no longer use it. I am in the process of changing to a local bank.

Somehow THIS is a bank's fault also?

"Not that easy or convenient when you have two young daughters strapped in their car seats, it's after dark, and your almost out of gas!"

YOU were the one that created this scenerio-not anyone else. It is irrelevent to the story unless you are trying to enforce what is being said-you are irresponsible. How can you have money in the bank to rely on a debit card but none in your own pocket? Please, stop with the stupid human shield bulls** to try and garner some faux sympathy.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Pending authorizations do not necessarily get debited from your account.

AUTHOR: Jj - (U.S.A.)

for Ken:
Assuming I have $100 in my checking account to use.......
If I go to the gas station pump and insert my debit card to purchase gas, the gas station gets an authorization for $1 dollar, $20 dollars, $50 or $100?
Each one is different. Let's say they get authorization for $100.
I actually only pump $20 bucks.
Therefore, I know I have $80 to use in my account, right?
I go shopping, buy dinner, order online, etc. because I only spent $20 out of the $100.
Each and every purchase will knock me into overdraft land, hitting me with fee after fee after fee.
The solution you say.....go into the gas station and tell them you want $20 in gas.

And check your online account? I do this daily. I know how much my account has a majority of the time. I never go into the negative on my account, so I am unaware of the ripple effect of fees being racked up on my account, until several days after this has occured. (by mail-then it's too late) at which time my account balance NEVER goes into the negative. ???? but I am charged bank fees to cover debits????
and then what......if one of the "pending" authorizations never transpires to my account, are they going to go back and adjust my account and refund my fees they have charged me? No - but they will go forward with possible charges to hit me with insufficient funds fees.
Money should only be deducted from my account when the items are posted/debited to my account, not possible charges that may or may not occur. There are a whole host of problems that can occur with this system. A slip of the finger can cause someone to acquire bank fees that otherwise wouldn't happen if they just debited the account when they should. Not in advance.

Where to begin...

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry to see that you are struggling with this card. I would suggest that you take a few minutes and sit down with a CSR of whatever bank you choose, and ask if they will explain to you how it works.

There is no 'credit' portion to a debit card. There are only debits. What I think confuses you is that a debit card can be processed at the store through a debit card system (meaning you enter your PIN number at time of purchase) or it can be processed through a credit card processing system. (which means you will sign a slip). In either case it hits your account as a debit, and if the funds aren't there, you pay.

You should no more count on the system stopping you, that you should expect someone to come running up and stopping you from writing a check when there are no funds in your account.

It is always the responsibility of the consumer to know what their own available balance is. This means keeping a register, plain and simple. Online banking is a helpful tool for verifying that your register is correct, but it can never replace the need for keeping one.