Complaint Review: Charter One Bank

• Submitted: Fri, July 06, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, July 06, 2007

• Reported By:homer glen Illinois
Charter One Bank
www.charterone.com Orland Park, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Charter One Bank TAKES ALL YOUR MONEY! HOLDS CHECKS! MAKES THINGS BOUNCE! Orland Park Illinois

I signed up for "totally FREE checking" at Charter One Bank in Orland Park, IL, only because they offered a $100 bonus for opening the account. That $100 definitely went back to the bank and MUCH MORE.

Over about a year's time period I was time and time again told that I had overdrawn my account, and was charged $33 for every single transaction, even just $1 that went through afterwards. One time I logged in to my bank account online to check that my direct deposit has gone through and I saw that my account was overdrawn $350!! more than my entire check!

Charter One also charged me for crazy made up things that I had never agreed to. $25 for my debit card. $1 EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SELECT DEBIT! That's insane! Also I had to pay for some reward points program I never agreed to. TOTALLY FREE CHECKING was such a joke!!
Charter One made me feel like I was a crazy person who was a totally screw up with money. Since then I have been at Harris Bank for more then a year now and I have NEVER overdrawn. Not once. That makes me now realize that Charter One was really screwing me out of money.
Also when I closed my account, they tried to ask me why I was leaving and convince me to stay. I said one of the reasons was because of the $1 charge for debit. They tried to tell me that all banks do that. I was like, no my new one doesn't, and when she explained that she expected me to stay. NO WAY!
KEEP YOUR MONEY--STAY AWAY!!

J
homer glen, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/06/2007 02:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-One-Bank/Orland-Park-Illinois/Charter-One-Bank-TAKES-ALL-YOUR-MONEY-HOLDS-CHECKS-MAKES-THINGS-BOUNCE-Orland-Park-Illi-259004. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter One Bank