Complaint Review: Check Mate

• Updated: Thu, May 16, 2013

• Reported By: Eric — Lucerne Valley California
Check Mate
Internet USA

Check Mate Deceptive offering online. Fees not mentioned until after filling in info.  Internet

Www.instantcheckmate.com  1 866-490-5980

I went online and came across the above site offering background checks on people.  There was no mention of a fee.  I filled out all the personal information requested and then found out that they charge a fee for the service.  I am sick of being surprised by hidden fees.  They should be up front and inform you of the fees Before You Fill Out Your Personal Info.  I paid the fee using my credit card.    Once I received the report on the individual I was checking on, the info was very limited.  There is a place that says "Details" but the info is sparce and unusable.  Naturally, for an ADDITIONAL FEE you can get an expanded report (another surprise fee).  (I feel certain I could have gotten the information they provided by using free sites on the internet.)

You have to call them to cancel your account or they will bill you every month until you call and cancel.

I tried to call and cancel but they said my account was too new and I would have to call back after their system updates.

This is typical of the way internet services advertise and market their products.  I hate it and have decided to no longer do business with any internet company that markets their product using this (sneaky) method.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/16/2013 03:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Check-Mate/internet/Check-Mate-Deceptive-offering-online-Fees-not-mentioned-until-after-filling-in-infonbs-1051500. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Check Mate