license

• Reported By: Gina — Mission Viejo California United States of America
Chevron
27742 Crown Valley Parkway Internet United States of America

Chevron Chevron put a $126.00 hold on account for $23 gas purchase, Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Sounds more like you used your debit card instead of credit card.

On 9/7/2012 I stopped by the Chevron on Crown Valley in Mission Viejo located across the street from the Kaleidoscope to put gas. My purchase was exactly 23.44 of gas. On 9/8/2012 I checked my account and found that I have two pending charges one for 23.44 and the other for $126.00. This sent me into panic mode thinking somehow someone had gotten a hold of my credit card info. I immediately began searching for my receipt thinking I was going to have to prove my purchase amount, then I contacted my credit card company only to be told that gas stations such as Chevron are now routinely doing this. I have pumped gas from various stations all over the county coast to coast and never had this happen before. There is no warning, indication or information posted on the pump to alert consumers of the practice of holding substantial additional monies against the consumer's account in addition to the actual purchase amount. Is this legal?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/08/2012 05:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Chevron/internet/Chevron-Chevron-put-a-12600-hold-on-account-for-23-gas-purchase-Internet-938530. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Chevron

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Sounds more like you used your debit card instead of credit card.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

This is a standard practice at gas stations as they reserve and amount in your account that would cover the largest purchase a customer is likely to incur.

It's NOT a charge, only a hold on the funds until payment clears.

I haven't heard of any stations doing this on Credit card charges, as they are covered when the card is okayed.

I NEVER use my debit card at the pump, specifically so I don't need to deal with this "inconvenience."