Complaint Review: Choise Home Warranty

• Submitted: Mon, October 15, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, October 15, 2012

• Reported By: karen — santa monica California United States of America
Choise Home Warranty

Choise Home Warranty COMPLETE Rip Off, Nasty customer service and wish I had not wasted my money, Internet

I have had horrible experiences with Choice Home Warranty- they had me chase them for 9 months to get payment then said my "case was closed" and refused to reimburse me.  They had me fill out a form after I got authorization in February and after 10 calls, emails and faxes (about 3 hours all told with getting shuttled around to various departments), I was told the case was closed and they were not going to reimburse me a penny.  One customer service rep put me on hold for 29 minutes until I got tired and hung up and had to redial and start over.

I called in March to get our dishwasher repaired, they emailed me a form and I called to get authorization- the form stated anything over $100 you need to call for authorization.  I spoke to Richard, made meticulous notes and had the repair done in April.  Then the fun began, I faxed the forms and paid invoice on 4/23 with no reply, called and emailed 5/9 and they said they
would pay.  6/26 they said they never got the fax so resent then 8/8 said they never got the fax (sure) so resent and got a number to call so I could follow up the next day to ensure they got it (I finally got smarter).  They said they did but the case was closed!

I called again 8/13 at 10:10am and they said the case was closed immediately (seemed to be a training technique
at their company to try to get people off the phone).  I pushed and asked them to look further.  They then said it would be processed and mailed in 2 weeks- an expedited payment of $100.  I told them the claim was $396 and they said I had not gotten proper authorization. I reviewed the notes from my conversation with Richard of 2/27 and they said I did not get proper authorization even when I told them I asked Richard if there was anything further that needed to be done and he said I was set.  I guess you are liable for rules that only they know and don't convey to you even IF you ask them.   Then they said the claim was denied.  It seems they simply keep on a track until a customer just gives up.  The customer service rep was rude and transfered me to tech support who then sent me back to customer service and her line rang for 25 times and put me back on hold for 29 minutes before I hung up without being able to get her name (I guess that's how angry reps entertain themselves in their jobs at companies with such poor ethics I'd presume they must get angry calls constantly).  I called again that afternoon immediately asked for a manager and lucky me, I got John who basically told me the case was closed (wow that script even works for managers).  After I spent 15 min explaining the story again (for the 5th time), he said he would send me $100 only as the maximum amount for any repair.  I told him I was quite unhappy and was going to complain (but figured I'd wait until I got my $100 check before starting a case as I still did not trust them to send me the check).  10/15 I called to ask about my check and the rep said the notes said I did not want the check and the case is closed- no way to reopen it.  This has to be illegal- certainly unethical and now it's more about the principle since I was changing warranty companies anyway and would have worked with my new one who always pays my claims (well the 2 I've had since I started with them) cheerfully and promptly!

First American is my current company and they are amazing- completely changed my mind about home warranty companies- night and day... from the worst company with the worst customer service and ethics to one that stands behind its word!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2012 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Choise-Home-Warranty/internet/Choise-Home-Warranty-COMPLETE-Rip-Off-Nasty-customer-service-and-wish-I-had-not-wasted-m-955400. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Choise Home Warranty