Complaint Review: Chris's Sealcoating

• Updated: Sun, May 26, 2013

• Reported By: Taken — Greensburg Indiana
Chris's Sealcoating
? Greensburg, Indiana USA

Chris's Sealcoating Did not stand behind his companies work. He stated several times he does, but in my opinion he stands a little too far behind it. Does nothing to correct, or advise that it's OK Greensburg Indiana

*Author of original report: Excuse me

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: no one ripped anyone off

Thursday May 23, 2013 Chris's Sealcoating showed up to repair the cracks left in my blacktop driveway from the harsh winter. Three individuals came to my home, with one being Chris Luttle, the owner. After looking at the driveway told me he would do it for the same as a year and a half ago, and asked me what that was. I instructed him I would need to look it up, but thought it was 700.00. We talked a little bit while the two workers started sealing cracks. I noticed right away that Chris had to keep pointing the cracks out to them and instruct them to get this one, get that one, etc.. I left to go look up my previous payment made to him in September 2011. After finding my previous payment for this job, I went back outside and told Chris it was 650.00, but was OK with the 700.00, if I got a good job. He assured me that it would be best humanly possible and reassured me that he stood behind his work. The two young workers were still doing a hit and miss job with Chris instructing them. I gave him his check and told him I would be inside, if he need anything thinking my presence was making the employees nervous. He made sure I had his phone number and told me how he guaranteed his work.

By the time I got into the house and took a seat at my desk, Christ was driving away and left his two employees to do the work. Not known to me at the time, but Chris headed to my bank and immediately cashed the check before the work was done. About a half hour later the mail man came and the workers were also gone. I went out to collect my mail and walked along side the driveway as I inspected the drive. Many cracks still were present and even found rock pits that did not have any coating in the bottom of them. The drive looked good at a distance, but up close the cracks were present and the 700.00 job appeared to be lacking in substance. I called Chris and he said the drive is wet now, which it was, he said let's let it dry and I will come tomorrow, Friday, May 24th and check it and take care of it at the time. Friday I stayed home and mowed. Friday came and went and no Chris and no phone call saying he got tied up. Saturday no phone call and no one showed up.

Around two o'clock I called Chris and apologized for calling him on a weekend, but wonder, if he had had a chance to look at the driveway. He instructed me that I was only the 2nd to ever question his work and got real huffy with me. Chris informed me that he would not come back and not to call him again. I told him I was sorry and may be overly concerned, but would appreciate him checking the drive as he had not seen it after it was finished. He said he would be there Sunday. I told him I would not be home from church no later than noon. He said call me when you get home and I told him I would definitely be home by 12:00 o'clock. We made a point to be home by 11:30. My wife and I worked outside all afternoon Sunday afternoon, and no one showed up or called. In short, Chris is not a man of his word and stands a little too far behind his work, with much lacking in people skills. I will not call him back and would not recommend him to anyone. A few years ago his grandmother, Phyllis Nobbe, told us he was crooked after he took her for the money she got out of selling her home to buy his business, in return for a place to live for the rest of her life. That lasted about two months before she was living in a senior center, but I gave him the benefit of doubt. Sorry now that I did. I do intend to contact a lawyer and may opt for small claims court. I am going to notify the better business bureau and some of the other people that he does sealcoating for giving them a heads up.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2013 05:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Chriss-Sealcoating/Greensburg-Indiana-47240/Chriss-Sealcoating-Did-not-stand-behind-his-companies-work-He-stated-several-times-he-1054033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Chris's Sealcoating

Excuse me

AUTHOR: Lonny - ()

Mrs. Luttel,

First please let me tell you that I am sorry that Chris has been sick.

Second let me just say that in no way excuses Chris of the strong strick angry stance when I called him. He became livid because I had the audacity to call him back, saying that I am only the 2nd to ever do that. What I find very odd in your statement is the fact that there ARE other customers to have complaints. I have talked to them eye to eye, and found one aired on the internet for an office complex with a 2013 date on it. I believe your a little miss informed. I went out to lunch late one morning and ran into two people with very similiar complaints spanning the last two years.

To your point of not being ripped off. If having a driveway sealed twice in eighteen months by chris and still having about half the cracks  open when they left, then I did not get ripped off. I actually have twenty one before photo's and twenty seven after photo's that clearly show the open cracks as well as some rock pits with no sealant in the bottom of them.

If having your check cashed before the work is even done is acceptable, then I did not get ripped off. Please allow me to say that when the bank called me to see, if the check was even legitimate, I could have stopped payment, but I did not. My big mistake was paying before hand, and writing the check to an individual instead of the business, which requires you to deposit and have a record of, instead of being able to simply cash a personal check with no record of the money received. When the bank called I immediately looked outside because I thought Chris was out by the drive taking care of business. But, what he cared about was the money, not my driveway, his reputation or repeat business.

To your point of Chris coming out when we were not home, the neighbors told us he was here. But it's really strange a couple of weeks later while sitting at my desk filling out small claims forms, I decided to pick up the phone and talk to Chris before filing the papers. He immediately said he would be back out Thursday or Friday and fire up the rubber machine and get it taken care of. He said this before I even had the chance to tell him that he had left me no choice, but small claims court. If there was not a problem when Chris snuck in on Sunday, why would he say he was coming back and firing up the rubber machine? To date, I have not filed the papers at the courthouse, and I am not going to, because I'm not that selfinsh an individual. I made a mistake paying in advance, and will accept the ouitcome. Do I want Chris back, no, I am over it. What was done to my drive will get me through this coming winter, and then I will call Kings Asphalt who has an A= Dunn and Bradstreet rating next spring for a professional job, and be done with it for three years.

For anyone that wishes to take a look at my cracks, help yourself, but be aware that we live in the open and the neighbors are pretty good at watching each others property. Just announce your intentions at the door, or email me and I will send the pictures.

Please keep in mind that it's only been eighteen months since Chris sealed the drive. Because of the harsh winter weather, spring brought a lot of cracks. This is in no way Chris's fault, but the only reason I called him this spring was to fill the cracks and reseal the drive. Not all of the cracks are filled, but yes there are spider veins running through the drive. But no, that is not my complaint. It's all about open cracks, cracks I have pictures of. But as you state, I did not get ripped off. You are so correct, I ripped myself off for paying in advance, and then allowing the check to be cashed before the work was even finished.

Again, I truly am sorry for what you say that Chris has been sick. But, if all the above is acceptable, then as you say, no one got ripped off.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

no one ripped anyone off

AUTHOR: amy - ()

Wow mr.wagner i can not believe you have done this but in responce to your claim...my husband came out to your house that sunday morning to look at the driveway...we cannot fix little bitty fine hair cracks.the driveway looks very nice and we did what we could with what you have.We dont have anyone else complain about the work we provide.I have had Chris in and out of the hospital for the last 2 months.I should of called you myself but once again the health of my husband is more important then someone who you cannot pleasa no matter what you do for them.You cannot make the driveway look like the day it was paved...im sorry you just cant.But what really bothers me is that you are saying we ripped you off...no sir we did not.We did the work the way we do all of them.You singeled out Chris but you did not even mention the other people who actually did rip you off (remember them)Then to top it all off you was bad mouthing his grandmother...did his grandma do the driveway? You spoke like you knew the situation but you dont.Chris grandmother raised him loved him more then her own children,she helped chris start his business as well as his father.She lived with us for several months after she divorced but we could not give her the care that she needed with both of us working full time.It was then that her daughter placed her into a nursing home where her son was a resident she was her(P.o.a) she resided there for several years.But once again that is not your concern or your business to me it is slander and maybe we should press charges on you for slander,and also definition of character.If you dont like our work do not hire us again,we did what we could do,there was nothing to fix on your driveway but i understand when someone has alot of time on there hands they nit pick about alot of things.we did what we could for you..but we did not rip you off in anyway and you need to quit gossiping about things you have idea about.You are a grown man...act like it. Thank you for your feedback.

registered