I invested money into Christine Sheaks Casting abilities, so she could make contact with 2 key A-list actors for my screenplay to help gain financing. Christine Sheaks was paid a total of $1,500 and entered into a Deal Memo on May 17, 2013. To this day (March 27, 2014) Christine still has not fulfilled her obligations pursuant to this Deal Memo.
Christine Sheaks was to make a list for two (2) characters and help move my film forward with possible cast attachments that we discussed prior to my hiring her services. On June 17, 2013, I sent her the remaining balance of $1,000.00 and reiterated to her that our discussion was to have her introduce 2 key A-list actors to my screenplay because she said, "She had direct contact with them." On June 24, 2013, after my check cleared, Christine Sheaks phoned me stating she "now" did not feel comfortable going after these 2 actors because there was no money in the escrow. I reminded her that our first discussion talked about how I did not have any money in the Escrow and the reason to hire her, was to see if she could get a Letter of Intent (LOI) from these 2 actors so I could go back to my potential investors to try and get the financing. Christine has lied about our conversations, given me the run around for 10 months now. She does not reply to my e-mails or calls. She promises over and over to do something and still does not deliver. Christine Sheaks has misrepresented her abilities and delayed attempts to bring recognition to my film getting made. It has now been 10 months since she has been paid and no genuine work has been done on her end. I have tried requesting my money back on several accounts and she will not respond back.
After Almost a year now & hiring a lawyer to try & resolve issues with Christine Sheaks I have no other choice but to re-open my case with the BBB and continue to report her. My lawyer mailed out a letter to Christine Sheaks on October 1, 2013 to try and resolve this issue once I provided solid proof on her wrong doing's. Christine refused it and said she never received it. The letter from my lawyer went to the same mailing address where she received my checks. When you send a retainer, the money should not be immediately spent w/o any work being done. My Bank confirmed that she did not deposit the checks, but cashed them immediately. Christine sent me this note from the beginning saying: "It's silly to have a contract at this point since it's just a Retainer. With a retainer you don't cash and spend the $ from the beginning. You keep track of the costs and send out a billing statement. Christine approached me from the beginning. After her praising my project and wanting to see it move forward, She said she had direct contacts to two A-named actors that she could reach out to. I said great if we can get some sort of LOI from them, I could take that back to my private investors to get the ball rolling.
What she and I originally discussed as to why I was hiring her and paying her $1,500:
1) To go directly to two A list actors to see if she can generate any interest from them personally so I could report that back to my potential investors to try and get the funding. (Not through their agents or managers)
2) If that did not work then, she would give me a new list of actors she felt she could reach out to personally (Not through their agents or managers).
What she feels she should be paid for:
1) Reaching out to the two A-Named actors agents and managers (which was not the agreement) I did not need her to do this because I reached out to them in 2010 and I made this perfectly clear from the very beginning
2) Causing problems with a named actors team by not backing me up once I re-sent her the original email showing I had communication with them back in 2010
3) I asked her to place 5 names in 3 different categories that she felt she could go after personally. Instead, she sent me a list of 69 actress names and told me I should look them all up and figure out what category they would fall under. Very Unprofessional and lazy from her end
4) Christine admits that she cashed my checks and not put them into her account as a retainer. In a reply to my producer Christine says "She texted me asking if I had received payment and I texted back that I got it. She then said that I lied. Why would I do that if there is proof that I cashed it?" Christine never texted me back, so I contacted my bank to see if it was received and found out she cashed it that Thursday. I called Christine on the following Saturday after not hearing back. She said to me "Oh I'm in my car I just received the check and I'm on my way to the bank now". That's when I called her out and said "Funny, I spoke with my bank on Thursday and they confirmed that you all ready cashed it, so why are you lying to me?"
5) Gave me the run around for 10 months now and continues to play games instead of addressing the issues at hand
6) Before receiving my payment Christine said, "Don't worry, we'll be discussing many things". After cashing my checks, she said "she should be paid for any discussions
What she did not do:
1) Just send me 15 names of actresses for the lead female role
2) Categorize the 69 actress names into the 3 different fields as I requested
3) Ever send me 15 names for the lead male role
4) Go directly to the 2 named actors per our agreement
5) Ever send me any up-dates to show what she was doing on her end. To get her to return any of my e-mails or calls it would sometimes take months to get her to respond