• Report: #195411

• Submitted: Thu, June 08, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, June 25, 2006

• Reported By:Some City Texas
Circuit City - Assurant Solutions - Precision Camera
circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13412/edOid/11068/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do Internet U.S.A.

Circuit City - Assurant Solutions - Precision Camera Extended Warranty Ripoff not honoring warranty, and further damaged the product Internet

*UPDATE Employee: An Initial Course of Action

I purchased a Canon digital camera and a 4 year extended warranty 2 years ago. The camera has failed recently (autofocus) so I sent it to the warranty repair provider. They sent it back saying they will not honor the warranty due to 'corrosion'.

I sincerely believe this failure is NOT due to corrosion as the autofocus failed 3 months after purchase and Canon had to replace the defective autofocus part under their MFG warranty.

I contacted Circuit City about this and they sent me a picture of the inside of the camera showing the 'corrosion'. You can see 3-6 tiny pin-sized dots (of corrosion I presume) on a metallic ring, which they claim voids the warranty.

Now, the camera now does not work at all. It was further damaged by their inspection review team while they were reviewing the claim. I have tried to speak with them about this and am only getting to front-line empoyees who claim 'corrosion' voids it all, and they are not willing to discuss the fact that they have damaged the camera further. They have no defense when I point out that it is the autofocus failure of exactly the same case as beore when the MFG replaced a defective part. They most likely have not even attempted to check that part.

I have everything documented. I have all the original packaging. I have names of employees, dates. I have the original repair reciept from Canon. I have phone call records.

I feel like I am being being unfairly and illegally abused by Circuit City and their extended warranty provider Assurant, and the Precision Camera repair facility.

I have gotten nothing for the $200 warranty and now my $1000 camera is worthless.

My last conversation with a rep at Assurant was at 4:30pm Wednesday 5/31/2006 . He said that the 'Replacement Team Manager', would try to call me within 48 hours. It has been 7 days now and I have not recieved a call from the manager and my only other contact there, he will not answer or return my calls. I have been pursuing this with them for 4 weeks now... It is the most hassle and headache I ever paid $200 to avoid.

The main # for the warranty dept. is 1-800-555-4615. I also have the direct number for the floor manager.

Thanks for your help.

Allan
Some City, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/08/2006 09:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Circuit-City-Assurant-Solutions-Precision-Camera/internet/Circuit-City-Assurant-Solutions-Precision-Camera-Extended-Warranty-Ripoff-not-honoring-195411. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Circuit City - Assurant Solutions - Precision Camera

An Initial Course of Action

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

If you haven't yet, I would suggest contacting your local store to see what they can do for you. A lot of times it is easier for us to muscle our way through talking to people at the service center. If the service center isn't cooperative, a lot of times we can rectify that by some sort of action at the store level as well. Unfortunately, the service center and the store are two separate entities, which sometimes makes cross-communication difficult. I hope this helps you as a start to fixing your problem.

Dear