Complaint Review: Citi Bank Credit Card

• Updated: Tue, August 07, 2007

• Reported By:Mesa Arizona
Citi Bank Credit Card
USA Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Citi Bank Credit Card billing me for overdue account that does not exist Mesa Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Reply to the email

*Author of original report: Citbank credit card email sent

*Consumer Suggestion: Could you post the email you received?

*Consumer Suggestion: Get it in writing.

Today I recieved an email from Citi Bank credit card telling me that my account was overdue $143.97 and they expected me to pay this amount immediately.
Whats interesting is that I do not have an account with Citi bank. I did have an account with them 2 years ago and i closed that account and paid them off in full.

I called their toll free number and talked with a young man that talked as if he was on drugs or something, he slured his words, he made no sense and he ended up just hanging up on me in the middle of one of his sentences.
I called back this time I got what sounded like a young woman, I told her the story, she kept asking me for my SS number and other info, in the end she couldnt tell me what was going on. She told me to hold while she transferred me to another department. I got another woman at the other department, she asked me all the same questions, after awhile she said that she saw that i used to have an account with them but that her records showed i had closed it and paid it off in full. i asked her why I recieved the email. She told me to hold a moment while she transferred me to yet another department. Then a message came on and the recording was talking about bankruptsy and how to file it, etc. What?!

So...I started all over again and called the first phone number, this time a woman answered and as before told me that i would need to talk with someone in another department, so i got transferred again. This time a young man answered i again explained the whole situation and gave him all my info i had, he told me that he found nothing under my name or SS number. I asked him why I got the email, he couldnt answer the question, said he was sorry but he didnt know what I should do at this point, he excused himself and hung up.

I had a credit card with citi bank for several years and they were the worst credit card company I had ever delt with that why I ended up dumping them and paying them off two years ago. Now 2 years later and Im recieving emails with overdue statements and when i call to investigate no one knows anything and no one seems to care.
I will never again use the services of Citi bank credit card and I recommend to everyone to avoid this company they are a nightmare.

John
Mesa, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2007 11:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citi-Bank-Credit-Card/Mesa-Arizona-85208/Citi-Bank-Credit-Card-billing-me-for-overdue-account-that-does-not-exist-Mesa-Arizona-256475. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citi Bank Credit Card

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Reply to the email

AUTHOR: R. - (U.S.A.)

Have you tried replying to "Yvonne" directly through the email? Or asking the customer service reps on the phone to direct your call to her specifically? This very well could be spam mail. If you DO reply to the email, do not include any personal information. Simply state that you dispute the validity of the debt and would like for them to send you proof of the debt to your mailing address "on file".
Keep a copy of the email you received and the one you send. Keep an eye on your credit report and if nothing new appears, then write it off as a spam email.
Good luck

This message is for Citibank customers only:

Your Citibank card balance is currently overdue and we require an immediate payment of $143.97.

Go to your Citibank account, select the Move money tab and choose the Make a one-off payment option and then follow the on-screen instructions.If you're having trouble finding the money to make your payment, you can talk to us about alternative options to help with getting on top of your finances on 1-800-374-9700.

As soon as possible, please access your online account following the link below.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Could you post the email you received?

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

Could you post on ROR the email you received, including the email header information?

There are many email and Internet scams out there today. It is quite possible that the email you received did not come from CitiBank at all.

Did anyone at CitiBank expressly acknowledge that they send out such emails?

Did the email you received have specific instructions on how to pay this alleged debt? Were you to send a check to a specific address, or use a web link to pay online? Did anyone at CitiBank validate those payment instructions as legitimate?

Since no one at CitiBank could validate that email, I would assume something very underhanded is going on.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Get it in writing.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I hope this helps. I developed this procedure in 2004 because a debt was mistakenly attached to my SSN and a DEBT COLLECTOR in Norcross, Georgia made numerous phone calls to me and would not tell me who owned the debt until I threatened to contact the New York State Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission. Once I contacted the CREDITOR via certified mail, everything was corrected in my favor.

First - Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm.

Second - send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the DEPT COLLECTOR to dispute the debt and request written verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor. Also, include a statement stating that you do not wish to be contacted again until you receive all the written debt verification information you have requested.

Once they receive the letter, they must cease all collection efforts until they provide the written information requested. This is in accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Third - Once you received the written verification information requested, contact the CREDITOR (who owns the debt) via certified mail to resolve the matter.

Please note that simply sending the letter telling them to leave you alone does not absolve a valid debt. What the letter does do is force them to provide you with written validation of the debt and to stop all collection actions until you receive the information. Once you have the information, you should act on it accordingly by contacting the CREDITOR via certified mail.

Some other notes: Any statute of limitations does not absolve a valid debt; it merely prohibits the creditor from going to court to obtain a money judgment against you. IF there is already a money judgment, the statute of limitations most likely is longerin New York State it's 20 years.

You can check the statute of limitations for debt in your state at fair-debt-collection.com/statue-limitations.html.

In addition, a credit report listing does not in any way determine if a debt is valid or not, or collectible or not that is what courts are for. There are few ways a valid debt can be absolved; you pay it off, the creditor forgives it, or bankruptcy court orders it absolved.

Section 809 of the FDCPA covers debt validation nicely:

809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.