Complaint Review: Citi Card Citi Bank

• Updated: Tue, February 22, 2011

• Reported By: ken1569 — Oklahoma city Oklahoma United States of America
Citi Card Citi Bank
12890 Lakeland Souefalls SD Internet United States of America

Citi Card Citi Bank Turned down three times for credit card with score of 731 citi sent the pre offers to me saying join us Internet

*Consumer Comment: Not a RipOff

I have been sent three letters to join Citi Cards - now keep in mind I have a home loan with them and a credit score of 731 - I have never been late on any credit of any kind NEVER! But every time I get an offer to join they turn me down saying I do not meet there goal? hmmm what is that about? Now after the third offer I called them and waiited for a live person in the USA - after 30 min's I get one - I was told to fill out an offer and send it in I said i did this three times with your code on said letters to join and been turned down each time - she went on to say then I guess your not credit worthy to have out card! now my score is 731 - I only pay out $1,200 a month - with an income of $45,288 a year I do not fall in there goal for a citi card? hmmm what do I have to make to get one?

I only have three credit cards and thought it would be nice to get there cause of the rewards!
NOW I do not wont it as I see how there treat NEW customers and lie about goals to get a card!

My other three cards have never been maxed out and one has no money owed on it and the other two just now have total on two of the cards $354 and limits of $4,000 so you tell me who could get a card from a compay like this shame on them ..............

I will stick with my bank and credit union cards and not ever join citi even thow they have my home with them!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/22/2011 05:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citi-Card-Citi-Bank/internet/Citi-Card-Citi-Bank-Turned-down-three-times-for-credit-card-with-score-of-731-citi-sent-t-698350. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citi Card Citi Bank

Not a RipOff

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You are getting "Pre-Screened" letters.   This is where they get a list of names from the Credit Reporting Agencies based on VERY broad criteria.   They do not see your actual credit report until you apply for the card.

The Credit Reporting Agencies did a great sell job on Credit Scores, because most people appear conivinced that a good credit score is all you need.  While it is an very important factor it is not the only one.

Now, one thing that is NOT in your Credit Report or Score is your income.  There are specific debt-to-income ratios that creditors set for their cards, where just like Credit Scores they are not going to tell you.  So you may not make enough for them to be considered, but they won't know that until you actually apply.

Oh and as for your income.  If you make a little over 45K a year that is about $3750/month.  With $1200 going out, depending on what that is made up of your Debt-to-Income ratio could be a little over 30% which for many creditors is considered excessive.

When you apply for credit by law they are required to inform you in writing the information they used to decline you.  This will include the Credit Reporting Agency as well as what generally turns out to be very generic reasons.  If the reasons were because of something on your Credit Report that was inaccruate you have the right to dispute it.  If it was valid reasons(even if you don't agree) you would need to work on those to try and get approved again.