Complaint Review: Citi-Global Markets,Inc

• Updated: Tue, March 20, 2012

• Reported By: Annette — San Bernardino California United States of America
Citi-Global Markets,Inc
1675 Broadway New York, New York United States of America

Citi-Global Markets,Inc Congratulations Secret Shopper Acceptance Letter New York, New York

*UPDATE Employee: Emails were not from Secret Shopper

*Consumer Comment: Again, I think "I got scammed" SHOULD be a valid *criminal* defense

*Consumer Comment: Stupid...Well.

*Consumer Comment: Also.....

*Consumer Comment: While it is true s/he did something stupid...

*Author of original report: Stupid!

*Consumer Comment: Indeed

I was mailed a letter from Citi-Global Marketing, Inc. with instructions to cash the enclosed check of $1989.50 because I was accepted as a secret shopper. Then to follow the following directions: First Survey Assignment: 1. Cash the check 2. At the Western Union fill out the Green color Money Transfer form, for $1480 plus $100 send fees for Money in a Minute option. Receiver name is Samantha Schmidt at their International processing branch office in the city of London, England,, UK. 3. Upon completion call 1-289-892-4905 immediately with the receipt to confirm the transaction. And fax it to 1-716-242-7994 or e-mail it to info@shopperswatch.net. Second Survey Assignment take $50.00 for shopping at Wal-Mart, Costco, Bestbuy, Home Depot, etc. items are mine to keep as a bonus. Complete the survey of their employees for further job assignments. My salary $359.50.
I do not have a bank account so I cashed the check at a liquor store because I know them and the check is a fraudulent check. I could now be facing legal action because I was unaware of the scam with these types of letters.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/26/2012 11:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citi-Global-MarketsInc/New-York-New-York-10019/Citi-Global-MarketsInc-Congratulations-Secret-Shopper-Acceptance-Letter-New-York-New-Yo-829428. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citi-Global Markets,Inc

Emails were not from Secret Shopper

AUTHOR: Secretshopper.com - (U.S.A.)

The emails you received were not from Secret Shopper, but rather were from a scammer, using information copied from our website to make their offer seem more legitimate.  We are sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced recently and are very troubled that our company name is being used in disreputable scams such as the one you described.

Again, I think "I got scammed" SHOULD be a valid *criminal* defense

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

But of course not a civil one; the OP most definitely has to pay back the liquor store, so the OP will still be the victim.

As far as the criminal thing goes, the reason for criminal prosecution is to provide a disincentive for others to commit a crime. If someone is being scammed and do not know they are committing the "crime" in the first place, what would the motivation to prosecute be?

Now you may say that prosecutions would help publicize the scam so others do not fall for it, but come on - if these people believe obviously fake offers, and ignore warnings right on the Western Union form, they will not know or learn from these prosecutions.

Hopefully in these cases the DA does not decide to prosecute. Does anyone know of an instance of this where the person WAS prosecuted? Someone who gets scammed has been victimized enough. Being stupid should not be a crime.

Stupid...Well.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

When you went to Western Union the form you were filling out has warnings about this very scam.  Yet you CHOOSE to ignore it.  So yes in that respect you were very stupid.

You got a letter stating you were accepted as a "Secret Shopper", do you ever remember applying for that position?  Did it seem at all odd that you were getting a check from someone you don't know out of the blue?

Your "pay" was $359 for what was what about an hours worth of work?  Do you know ANY legitimate business where you can earn $359/hour?

- Actually the "victim" right now is the Liquor store because it is them who gave you the cash..you were just the intermediate person.  However, since it was you who presented the check you are ultimately responsible, because you are NOT going to find the people who gave you the check.

Unfortunately, the "I didn't know" isn't really a valid excuse and if the Liquor Store wanted to file criminal charges on you they most likely could.  The best you can hope for in this situation is that because they know you they do not try to make it criminal and only file a civil suit against you.

Also.....

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

The fact that the one business you knew well enough that they would cash a check for you is a liquor store indicates the you may want to cut down on the booze.

While it is true s/he did something stupid...

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

I do not think the OP should get prosecuted, given that what s/he did was the victim of a scam, and was not intentionally breaking the law. I know the law is still applicable even if it was unintentional, but that seems REALLY unfair; s/he's already been scammed, this is like blaming the victim.  Obviously s/he will have to pay back the money though.

And doing something stupid is not the same a being stupid. Keep in mind that the OP is probably uneducated, given the s/he does not even have a bank account, and is thus much more subject to these types of scams. S/he does have my sympathy.

Stupid!

AUTHOR: crosbyabc - (United States of America)

Wow! You have reminded me of how mean and cruel people like you are to immediately assume I am stupid. I made a mistake. I was not aware of these types of things but that does not make me stupid. I have shared my story and all the problems I am facing to try and help others. This is difficult enough without heartless individuals like you. This will work out for me because I will not be a victim and I will pray for you.

Indeed

AUTHOR: TruthSayer - (USA)

Just how stupid can you be ???  Yes, your butt is headed for jail.  You had better get yourself a lawyer and get one quick.  You should also find yourself a friendly bail bondsman while you're at it.