• Report: #392075

Complaint Review: CitiBank

• Submitted: Mon, November 17, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, June 04, 2009

• Reported By:Clermont Florida
www.citibank.com San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-9672400
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

CitiBank Customer Service is sadly lacking San Antonio Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: from a former insider

I am in the process of obtaining a mortgage and to prove my debt to income ratio I had to obtain financial statements from CitiBank's student loan office. I was under a time crunch and I needed the docs within the week.

I requested a copy of the statement to be faxed to me on Monday and was told it would take 24-48hrs.

24-48hrs later, nothing. I called again and the customer service reps said they could "see the request" and they were just waiting for it to be filled. So I put in another request. Still nothing.

By Friday I was getting really upset so I spoke to a supervisor and she was supposed to fax it to me that evening and (surprise, surprise) I never received anything.

I called Monday and spoke with three different people. They told me it would be processed in 24-48hrs and when I asked to speak to a manager they told me the managers are not immediately availabel and I would need to leave a message. Of which, they would get back to me within 24-48hrs.

I'm still waiting.

CitiBank has TERRIBLE customer service and because of them I could lose my mortgage.

No wonder they need to lay off 53,000 people.

Clermont, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2008 02:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CitiBank/San-Antonio-Texas/CitiBank-Customer-Service-is-sadly-lacking-San-Antonio-Texas-392075. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CitiBank

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

from a former insider

AUTHOR: Nothingbutthetruth - (U.S.A.)

I was a customer service rep for this company for 5 years. What they call 'training' for this job is a joke. We were constantly pulled out of class to take calls whenever the call volume went up. When training was finished and we were taking calls, we were to contact a supervisor if we could not help the customer. The managers would take over the calls, but often, I would get the same customer a few days, or weeks later: same problem. Our instructions were to advise the customer that they would have to either wait longer, or have a supervisor call back. I also worked in a dept. for new account applications. What a nightmare.
It would often take weeks for a prospective customer to open a basic account.

We were also required to offer a daily quota of accounts to the customers. We were actually instructed to 'soft sell' them on different accounts. If we didn't make the daily quota, it was counted against us. We were to receive a certain amount of money per each referral, but could only receive a monthly pay-out IF we met all criteria, such as meeting the daily quota, talk time, ect. For many of us, it was the talk time (average) that prevented us from getting the payout ( I confirmed this many times with my colleagues). As most of the calls were complaints and issues, these were not 2 minute calls. Where was the service in customer service?

Instead of payouts, we got cheap 'trinkets' for having the most referrals.
In my 5 yrs there, I only got 2 payouts. Employees were divided into 'teams' and were forced to 'compete' with each other on talk time, referrals, ect. What happend to good old, real customer service? Most of my calls day to day, were complaints from customers who were usually calling back for the 3rd or 4th time, with no solotions to their problems.

I will never bank at this bank, and would advise anyone else not to as well.