Complaint Review: Citibank Aadvantage

• Submitted: Sat, July 03, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, July 08, 2004

• Reported By:Levittown New York
Citibank Aadvantage
citicards.com Long Ilsand City, New York U.S.A.

Citibank Aadvantage cacels my credit card due to 2 bounced checks in 14 years Long Ilsand City New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Again Beware of Citibank

I opened my Citibank Aadvantage account in 1990 so I could get American Airlines miles. I had made a previous month's payment (May) of $6,500.00 and @ June 2nd or 3rd made an initial $100.00 minimum payment and followed up with a $2,500.00 online payment from my checking account (virtually all others were also online) on June 6th. They did not submit the payment until June 11.

Due to a medical crisis I was having I was not checking my online checking account daily and on Saturday, June 19th noticed I was being charged NSF fees for small checks when I still had plenty of funds. Long story short I go to the bank on Monday as they never showed on my online statement that the Citibank payment had been presented and bounced. If I had been totally on the ball or if I had made the payment for @ $100 less I would have been fine. They did refund one of the fees as they said the online thing was wierd.

I called Citibank to make my payment and they informed me that according to their computer I had bounced two checks and therefore my 14 year account was closed !!! I asked them when the other check had been bounced but they could only tell me that it was sometime between 1990 and six months ago as their records don't show anything more recent that six months. Then the supervisor said, "Actually, we can cancel you at any time for no reason". Nice customer service.

The supervisor told me there was nothing I could do about it. I called numerous Citibank numbers and finally found out who the CEO of Citi Cards is (Steven Frieberg) and am sending him a letter to try to prevail on the humanity of an actual decision maker rather than a flunky.

So beware Citibank. I will follow up with my answer from Mr Frieberg. I was just getting back on my feet financially, having paid off my car and half of my mortgage! My credit was not so good for the last 6 years due to a business partner's death and financial disaster. So now I will have another black mark plus the loss on my credit report of my longest existing credit card.

Nancy

Nancy
Levittown, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2004 02:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citibank-Aadvantage/Long-Ilsand-City-New-York/Citibank-Aadvantage-cacels-my-credit-card-due-to-2-bounced-checks-in-14-years-Long-Ilsand-97470. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citibank Aadvantage

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Again Beware of Citibank

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

See the recent report on Citibank being at war with it's customers. There is a lot of information in that report in regards to how Citibank's policies are in treating customers.

All you need to do is make a single late payment and it triggers an account checkup, and you get your interest rate increased. If you use your credit card for business, and then get surprise charges on your credit card, you are personally responsible for those charges because the vendor kept your approval on file with the first charge.

In fact, in my case they let my balance go way over my credit limit, and charged me an over-limit fee on charges I didn't even know were hitting my account. A call to customer service got no mercy, just an explanation that what they did was legal. (who cares about what is right?) (All credit card companies do this, apparently).

With Citibank heading up the effort to pass legislation to reform bankruptcy to multiply their profits through making bankruptcy more difficult and to protect credit cards from being discharged in a bankruptcy, I don't think Citibank cares about the little guy at all. Your letter will get plenty of laughs in the executive offices, if they even open it.

You are by no means alone. Watch these reports, and maybe something will emerge. I think there is a report on a class action suit you might look into.