faint

• Submitted: Fri, June 10, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, June 10, 2005

• Reported By:Gold Hill Oregon
Citibank - Phillips 66 - Conoco-76
P.O. Box 9140 Des Moines, Iowa U.S.A.

Citibank - Phillips 66 - Conoco-76 ripoff won't allow access to online bill payment charge $8 to pay by phone Des Moines Iowa

*Consumer Comment: Interesting Points

I tried to pay my Union 76 gas card account today (owned by Citibank S.D., N.A.) via their online site. I have paid via this method since it was instituted by the company. The bill is due in two days (today's date is 6-10-05, bill is due 6-12-05). I could not get access. I called the company, and they indicated I was not allowed online access because my account was overlimit. When I asked how that could be, they said the limit was $500 (it is $600, according to my statements), and that the current balance was over that, because of this payment due plus the charges incurred since.

This is a gas card--the limit is apparently not high enough to cover my family's gasoline expenses. I was not trying to pay late, and I have always paid my bills in full and on time. When I asked how I was going to be able to get a payment to them in time, they said I could pay via telephone, but they would charge me $8.00! $8.00 for a telephone payment is excessive and no one else charges that for any of my other bills. I refused and mailed the payment, which is, of course, going to be late now. I attempted to pay my bill on time, but they will not allow it, unless I pay their excessive charge for telephone payment. They would not allow me online access, said that was their policy. Nowhere is this policy written in any of their paperwork they send. There is no reason I should not be able to access my own account information or be able to pay my bill.

Pamela
Gold Hill, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2005 04:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citibank-Phillips-66-Conoco-76/Des-Moines-Iowa-50368/Citibank-Phillips-66-Conoco-76-ripoff-wont-allow-access-to-online-bill-payment-charge-145741. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citibank - Phillips 66 - Conoco-76

Interesting Points

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Pamela has made some interesting points. Don't pay bills online. Wife does. She uses billpay? through her bank. Some companies won't accept it. I wonder why? I send M.O.'s through the mail at least 10 days in advance of due date. In the past, when it has been close, 2 or 3 days, I'll FedEx them a check. $14 instead of a late fee or a ding on my credit. Those reps of the CC companies try like heck to make it difficult to mail a check FedEx, no PO boxes. In the end they'll give you one, if they have to. I have seen some companies charge up to $15 to make a payment over the phone.