Complaint Review: Citibank

Citibank Citibank rips off students Placentia, California

*Consumer Comment: Odd

*UPDATE Employee: Citi Account Terms and Conditions

*Consumer Comment: Really?

Ok so I had opened an account with Citibank about a year ago. The reasons why I chose Citibank was because my parents have an account with them and I was told there would be NO service fees. For the first 6 months or so everything wen't smoothly and the service was great. I'm a student at a community college and I was working part time. I never had much money in my account but I was told I wouldn't get a service charge because I am a student and then I started noticing a $20 service charge on my account activity EVERY MONTH. One day I had only $18 in my account and I went to work and when I went on my lunch I checked my account out of boredom and found $0 in my account and a service charge that took the $18. I was really upset because I was depending on that $18 to pay for my gas to get back home from work. So I called Citibank and the person on the phone helped me out no problem and refunded the money and told me that the service charge wouldn't happen EVER AGAIN.

I kept banking with them without a service charge for a few more months and again the service charge showed up so once again I called and told the person on the phone that i was told last time that it would never show up again and I asked for a refund. He told me he didn't have the authority to do so and that I had to go to the branch and resolve the problem. Of course Lazy me didn't ever go to the branch and I let it go on.

When I lost my job this last October I had money saved to last for a few months for all my bills thinking I would easily find another job. It took me a lot longer than planned so I only had about $9 left in my account. I checked my account a few weeks later and my account was -$45. I was extremely upset so I went to the branch and spoke to a supervisor and told him that my account should NOT be overdrafted and that last time when I had only $18 which wasn't the normal amount of $20 they only took the $18 and it didn't overdraft. This time it did which made no sense to me. He ALSO told me he didn't have the authority to reverse the overdraft and service charge but his manager did who was supposed to be in the next day. Remember that I was unemployed and had already wasted too much gas on talking about money that is supposed to be mine and received NOTHING. So I never went because I wanted to wait until I had another job so I could drive to the branch, cancel my account, and sign up at another bank all on one day.

Now that I have a full time job I cannot go to the bank this week. I signed up with Bank of America who also promised no fees and I hope it stays that way and I also called citibank today during my lunch and they couldn't help me with my problem. I'm tired of dealing with this for so long. So lesson learned....DONT BANK WITH CITIBANK if you are a student or just someone trying to make it by paycheck to paycheck...they are keeping us more poor than we deserve to be!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2012 11:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citibank/Placentia-California-92870/Citibank-Citibank-rips-off-students-Placentia-California-828173. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citibank

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

From what I understand from your report...

1)You banked with Citybank because you thought there would not be any service fee?

What did the person who opened the bank tell you? Did you ever gotten a written contract when you opened an account? Did you ever read it? Did you really understand what type of the account? I guess you were there just to sign and get an account. You did not pay attention that the account type is NOT the same as your parent's account.

2)You then said you were getting charged $20 every month before you found out once you had only $18 left, and then told them not to do?
If you have already noticed about the fee, you could have fix it even before it went this bad. One point to your laziness.

3)You then said you notice the fee again while you still had your job and called them to remove it but they did not. You admitted that you were lazy and let it go, and it became a problem after you lost your job.

You are warned the second time, but you did not attempt to fix it when you had another chance to do. Another point to your laziness here.

4)Now you had no job and went in to talk to them once, but no one could reverse your overdraft and asked you to come back the next day. However, you thought that you had spent too much money already trying to fix this and thought that you could still delay it out until you had money to spend (without thinking you would trade "free time" with money).
Again, they could not compensate your own expense to get your problem fixed. Did you call the branch before you went to see them? Well, may be not. Still, if you really want to solve the problem, you could have spent less money to solve it rather than let it go until you had to spend even more money. This one I will give you 5 points for your laziness.

I hope you read the contract which is with your BoA account. BoA has a reputation of more notorious in fees (and from my experience). If you keep being lazy as you are now, you will have to close your bank account again and go to another bank...

Lesson learn for you (and hope you will learn from it) that laziness should not be an option to solve a problem.

Citi Account Terms and Conditions

AUTHOR: smartprov - (USA)

At Citibank, we pride ourselves in the very best of customer service and sincerely appreciate your business. However, there are some things you should know about Citi:
We encourage you to read every contract in detail for every deposit or credit service provided. Citi does understand that sometimes bad things happen to good people, but we want to help.
Always check your account on a daily basis at our website www.myciti.com
Use our Citiphone banking service daily at (800)274-6660
We offer numerous ways to keep tabs on balances such as free Citi alerts via e-mail or for cellular users. There are other applications you can utilize on our website.
Unfortunately, in this circumstance, Citi cannot assume responsibility for your error. It is your responsibility to maintain your account in good standing and bring your account to a postive balance immediately. The consequences of not understanding the implications of a Citi account has negative consequences such as:
The closure of your Citi account and being reported to Chexsystems. It will make it very difficult, if impossible, to open another deposit account at another financial institution.
Citi will blacklist consumers who fail to maintain their accounts in satisfactory condition which will make it impossible to be approved for other Citibank products and services.
A negative entry will be reported to the credit bureaus if it has to be sold to an outside collection agency. Do not risk this from happening as this will remain for seven years on your credit reports as derogatory information.
Please, for your financial future, contact Citibank 24/7 at (800) 274-6660. We are awaiting your call.

AUTHOR: Righteous1 - (USA)

Are you really that lazy that you can sit and file a complaint here yet cannot get SERIOUS on such a simple action of confronting a local branch where you reside???

A BANK has the right to notify you of any over-charges/drafts, credits,deposits, fees. WHICH they did, yet you come here and yell foul because you don't know how to walk yourself down to a branch and get WRITTEN Clairification from them on your service charges????

Maybe you can get a little piggy bank and learn all over what saving means and what paying debts are about.  You may be an adult on paper yet not so in your immaturity to resolve in a speedy manner.

Fees are apart of the banking industry, before applying or opening an account, these places can hand you their ten page fold out brochure that will take two weeks and a law degree to decipher! Yet its there...and its yours to view to make an informed decision.  As my grand daddy would say - don't kick the tires just because the car don't run...Ya gotta use the key! ...Use your noggin.