Complaint Review: Citifinancial Retail Services

• Submitted: Mon, January 26, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, January 26, 2004

• Reported By:taunton Massachusetts
Citifinancial Retail Services
P.O. BOX 22060 Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.

Citifinancial Retail Services posted payment to wrong account then charged me a late fee. Ripoff! Tempe Arizona

I have 2 accounts with Citifinancial because I purchased furniture/appliances at 2 different stores, both were offering interest free creditwhich was Citifinancial. I paid every month per agreement but twice Citifinancial said they didn't receive the payments on time.

To avoid any late charges, I set-up the payments to be made automatically from my checking account electronically every month. The only reason I chose to have these accounts was to avoid paying any kind of fees beyond my purchases and being able to pay for them over time; an advantage for my pocketbook.

In late Decmber 2003, I received a call from Citifinancial telling me they did not receive the December 1st payment. I told them it was electronically debited and if my history was on the screen in front of them, they would see that they receive it the same time every month. Citifinancial said they didn't do electronic payments and my bank must have made an error-that I needed to research the missing payment with my bank. The account was nearing payment completion and I told the person I would just pay the account off in full find out from my bank about the payment. Citifinancial told me the payoff which was 278.86 and that I would have to spend another $10 to authorize this payoff electronic payment to avoid another $29. late charge.

I went to my bank (they found it amusing that Citifinancial as large as it is did not accept electronic payments) and they initiated a trace on the missing payment. My bank told me and provided a copy of the check they sent on my behalf to Citifinancial at the scheduled payment time. The check was indeed processed by Citifiancial but someone at Citifinacial had crossed out the correct account number and handwrote the number of my second account at Citifinacial -- the payment was credited to the wrong account.

Today is January 26, 2004, I just called Citifinancial to try and see if they resolved my issue - my call was routed to Toronto and they had no knowledge of anything and told me all I could do was write a letter about my issue to the dispute department.

On January 5, 2004, I talked with a Marisol in Arizona who instructed me to fax them the copy of the cancelled check and late charges etc. She gave me the fax number and to fax the papers to her attention--all of which I did that day.

To date, Citifinancial owes me $30. in late fees plus $55. erroneously posted to my second account, and they need to refund the $10 charged to me me for making a payment I already made.

taunton, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/26/2004 11:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citifinancial-Retail-Services/Tempe-Arizona-85285-2060/Citifinancial-Retail-Services-posted-payment-to-wrong-account-then-charged-me-a-late-fee-78129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citifinancial Retail Services