Complaint Review: Citizens Bank Parent Company Is RBS

• Submitted: Tue, November 24, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, December 09, 2009

• Reported By: Mark — Manchester Massachusetts United States of America
Citizens Bank Parent Company Is RBS

Citizens Bank Parent Company Is RBS RBS Citizens, N.A., Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania Citizens Bank Charges $74 for $7 Overdraft - a 1,054% fee! Internet

*Consumer Comment: Overdraft fee malpractice

*Consumer Comment: Questions...

*Consumer Comment: Great Idea!!

Citizens Bank charged $74 in overdraft fees for a $35 recurring item that was presented against a balance of $27.98, a $7.02 overdraft. That is a 1054% fee!

The $35 item should not have even been honored in the first place, because it was for a debit transaction on a card that had been canceled. Citizens Bank decided to drop MasterCard and forced me to switch to Visa, and I had started to use the Visa debit card weeks before.

When I explained that I wanted to have the charges taken off my account by two different members of Citizen Bank's call center group in Ashville, North Carolina, they said there is no way they would reverse the charges.

Both customer service people, Shauna Payne and Ryan Walkenshaw, identified themselves as "Supervisors." It appears that is part of Citizens strategy everyone is a supervisor so there is no one available to transfer calls to. They each refused to let me talk to anyone else to escalate the situation.

The conversations were being recorded. They both said they would be happy to leave a message with someone to call me back, but there is no way that the overdraft fees would be waived by anyone at Citizens Bank.

I told them if they cannot get me a manager to speak with today, they need to put the funds back in the account today and we can resolve the issue when they call me back. I told them that I had made a deposit in the account to pay an important bill, and the $74 that they took out brought the balance down to a point where there is not enough to cover the payment. They both said that was not their problem.

Shauna Payne kept talking over everything I said. At the end of the call, she claimed she would transfer me to a manager's voice mail, and transferred me to a disconnected Verizon mobile phone.

I can't imagine how they can get away with this. Think twice before opening up ANY account with Citizens Bank at this point!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/24/2009 06:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citizens-Bank-Parent-Company-Is-RBS/internet/Citizens-Bank-Parent-Company-Is-RBS-RBS-Citizens-NA-Citizens-Bank-of-Pennsylvania-Citi-528215. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citizens Bank Parent Company Is RBS

Overdraft fee malpractice

AUTHOR: Putaki - (United States of America)

All banks have raised their fees, but Citizens bank (owned by RBS) is the worst.  They charged $39 per txn for overdraft. And they re-order the txns so that the largest one goes first. Then every small item will trigger $39 fee as well.

There are class action suit against other banks for this kind of practice. Go to
  www.bank-overdraft.com

to check how many other big banks are being sued for this unethical practice. I filled out a form stating my case. I think everyone who has suffered by Citizens should do the same.

Questions...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- How was the recurring item set up?  Was it through the bank's on-line banking or the company that was doing the withdraws?

- Did you actually cancel the recurring transaction?

Great Idea!!

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Start keeping a check register, reconcile your monthly bank statement, quit relying on atm, online and phone balances, stop using your debit card as if it were a credit card

Grow up and start taking responsibility for your finances - I could care less what bank it is but it is YOUR responsibility period

I await the bank haters responses ie: not your fault, resequences blah, etc etc