Complaint Review: Citizen's Bank

• Reported By: Monica — Glens Falls New York United States of America
Citizen's Bank
Glens Falls, New York United States of America

Citizen's Bank will not reverse unfair overdraft fee Glens Falls, New York

*Consumer Suggestion: The school owes you.

Recently, I used my debit card attached to my Citizen's checking account to pay part of my UAlbany orientation fee.

The school made a mistake and initiated an $80 charge instead of the $10 partial payment I'd authorised.  They reversed the charge the same day, and charged the appropriate $10.

However the $80 was still on hold in my account, creating a negative 'available funds' balance.  I had $31 in the account, to cover the $10.  When the $10 charge posted, however, it posted against the negative available funds.

Consequently, I was charged a $39 overdraft fee.  I called the bank, figuring that since no actual overdraft occurred (the $80 was never actually claimed by UAlbany), they'd reverse the fee.

Instead, I'm told since it's not a bank error, they can't reverse the funds.  I was told to contact the merchant (UAlbany) to request a refund of the fee.  Even the student financial center representative I met with, in an attempt to get the fee as suggested by the bank in my first phone call, spoke to the bank during a second call.  He argued with their supervisor at their customer service phone center on my behalf for close to 20 minutes and got no further than I did.

So Citizen's Bank is making a profit off me.  I am a disabled college student, living on SSD and stdent loans.  And they are making an unfair profit off me.  I willingly pay overdraft fees that are my fault.  But this is not my fault, and I'm still out $39.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2010 05:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citizens-Bank/Glens-Falls-New-York-/Citizens-Bank-will-not-reverse-unfair-overdraft-fee-Glens-Falls-New-York-558803. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citizen's Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

The school owes you.

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

The school owes you a refund of the $39 UFF.  You should demand reimbursement from the Bursar's office.

If necessary, send the school a written demand for remittance.