Complaint Review: Citizensbank

• Submitted: Wed, August 05, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, December 02, 2009

• Reported By:east falmouth Massachusetts
1 Citizens Drive Riverside, Rhode Island U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-922-9999
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Citizensbank Bank Robs Customer Riverside Rhode Island

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Citizens Bank is Ripoff - Hudson NH - all MA

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I understand

*Consumer Comment: Not Quite Wendy

*Consumer Comment: You were overdrawn

Citizensbank of New England has charged me over $400 in overdraft fees in the last 2 days. I was overdrawn $13 but because they said I had 4 transactions to total that amount, I was charged $156. They manipulate their ledger so deposits and withdrawls occur when it is advatageous to them. I have deposited over $440 into my account in the last few days, but because of their practices, they have charged me $439 in fees. No one can explain what is happening to me. They have made many mistakes regarding my account, one of which was not crediting a $312 cash deposit for 4 days! They said it got lost, then they deposited it twice, I won't even go into the identity theft story. The manger who handled that one seemed about 12 years old. This bank must be doing something illegal. Is there no recourse?Because they said it was not bank error, I am being charged over $400 and they cannot remove any of the fees. I think the entire bank is an error.Obviously they don't want my business. I wish the banks never got bailed out. They do not treat their customers decently or with any consideration at all.

Wendy s.
east falmouth, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2009 05:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citizensbank/Riverside-Rhode-Island-02915/Citizensbank-Bank-Robs-Customer-Riverside-Rhode-Island-476814. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citizensbank

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Citizens Bank is Ripoff - Hudson NH - all MA

AUTHOR: mame - (United States of America)

for over 6 months they charged me with all kinds of fees when I called them to find out the reasons they told me I was put in a some sort of accounts that I had to have minimum $20,000 cash! or I would have to pay all those fees......... I was shocked and asked them to fix the issue since I knew I never would have that much in my account they refused
they did not apologized for their mistake and they did not fix the charges from the past ...

their customer service is very rude and disrespecting  they don't care about customers and their needs and all they want to rip you off and steal from you .....
I have been unemployed for about a year and it very upsetting me ..... cannot believe it

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I understand

AUTHOR: RI''er - (USA)

I worked in their customer service and collections department and I never liked the way they did things.

Not Quite Wendy

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

To begin with, banks don't make funds available to you through deposits per their whim. They don't hold deposits unless it's required by law. Debits are not held either - this is more of a function between you and your merchant. The process goes something like this:

1. When you swipe your debit card, the money no longer becomes available but the money will still be in your account until the merchant approves the transaction.
2. It normally takes 48 hours to one week for the merchant to approve.
3. Once approved, the money leaves your account.

The only thing banks do is administer your account.

Now you are correct in that the bank (like all banks) sorts transactions from highest to lowest. But they have been doing that for years, so this isn't something new. They were doing it when the account was opened. Banks don't generally manipulate transactions any other way.

Banks do make errors when they lose cash (most common is when people deposit cash in an ATM - if you do that, stop doing it); it's better to either hold cash, or see a teller inside for a cash deposit. It minimizes lost cash transactions. If you still have problems with lost deposits, I would switch banks - that should not be something you should stand for.

You were overdrawn

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Period - Stop spending money you do not have!
Start keeping a check register and reconcile your monthly bank statement
Never rely on online balances or atm balance for they are not accurate
If you cannot control your spending start using cash only - That is what I do
These are the only ways to stop overdraft fees
Start taking responsibility for your own finances