Complaint Review: City Of Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau

• Submitted: Fri, November 14, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, November 14, 2008

• Reported By:Salem Oregon
City Of Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau
312 W. 2nd Street Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

City Of Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau Excessive Late Fees Imposed without Due Date Notification Los Angeles California

I visited Los Angeles last summer. I subsequently received notice of a parking ticket in the mail. Although I didn't have the original ticket, I didn't doubt that the ticket was genuine (a relative had borrowed the car), so I mailed in $45. Yesterday I received a notice that the fine was not $45 as stated on the original notice, but $100. Upon calling the Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau, I was told that I owed a $55 late fee, which is due within four days (including a weekend). This short notice means that I must pay additional fees to make the payment on time ($2 to pay by web or phone). There is actually no due date on either the original bill or the new one. Therefore I had no way of knowing that a late fee would be imposed. And if I had just mailed in another check, I would have been charged yet another late fee. In addition, the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states "Excessive bail shall not be required, NOR EXCESSIVE FINES IMPOSED, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." Is not a $55 late fee for a $45 parking ticket an "excessive fine"? How can anyone justify a late fee larger than the original fine?

Salem, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2008 04:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/City-Of-Los-Angeles-Parking-Violations-Bureau/Los-Angeles-California-90012/City-Of-Los-Angeles-Parking-Violations-Bureau-Excessive-Late-Fees-Imposed-without-Due-Date-391385. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on City Of Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau