Complaint Review: City of Garland

• Reported By: SJ — Garland Texas United States of America
City of Garland
217 North 5th Street Garland, Texas United States of America

City of Garland They know where to get you... Garland, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Since you're afraid to ask them..I'll try...

So the wonderful city of Garland loves to treat its residents as if they are morons. Other than the fact they monopolize the power market in the city, they know how to screw you over knowing quite well you have no other options out there. That makes them feel they have the right to treat you horribly over the phone when asking simple questions about your bill or why you have some fee or another.

Now all electric providers can screw you over the cost of your electricity, but the city of Garland loves to give you a 110% screw over when you are late on a bill.

Recently, my debt card had to be replaced but I forgot to change it for my City of Garland auto-pay account online. My mistake. and boy did I have to pay the price.

My power was disconnected, so I called at 5:30 pm to get it back after paying my dues online. Funny thing, my next bill came with a $160 extra charge, $100 a reconnection fee, and $60 for after hours reconnection. [continued below]....
.....

Of course it was paid automatically and I figured I'll have to be more careful again. I'm sure that can be designated as a ripoff. Anyways, I just received my December bill and guess what is on it, an extra $100 fee described as a "Reconnect Deposit". Will someone please tell me what exactly that is? I mean its one thing to charge a late fee, a reconnection fee, but now an after hours fee and a reconnect deposit?

Not sure what they pride themselves with, the whole city is one stinking zip code, 75040.

You think I dare ask what that fee is about? Of course not, they will treat me like a second-class citizen if I do. Do you think they state any of these policies anywhere on their website or bill. Of course not. You only find out when you see your next bill.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2012 07:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/City-of-Garland/Garland-Texas-75040/City-of-Garland-They-know-where-to-get-you-Garland-Texas-981281. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on City of Garland

Since you're afraid to ask them..I'll try...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

"I just received my December bill and guess what is on it, an extra $100 fee described as a "Reconnect Deposit". Will someone please tell me what exactly that is?"

It should be a deposit to guarantee future payments.

Most companys will refund or credit this to your account if your account is paid on time, usually for a year. It's NOT money you've lost.