Complaint Review: City of Los Angeles Parking Enforcement

• Updated: Wed, July 07, 2010

• Reported By: Chas — Los Angeles California United States of America
City of Los Angeles Parking Enforcement
3333 Wilshires Bl., #3337 Los Angeles, California United States of America

City of Los Angeles Parking Enforcement Got a parking ticket in a metered location even with a handicap placard. Los Angeles California

I use a handicap placard and I just received my 2nd ticket, not for parking in a handicap spot but for not displaying the placard a metered space without paying.  We have that right as handicapped citizens.  I am neurotic about displaying the d**n thing.  If I need it, it goes up, every time.  The law was written to help handicapped people like me. That's the spirit of the law. And even though they know that I am legally entitled to park, they are trying to bypass the spirit of the law on a made up technicality.  Even if I did not have my placard up, which I did, once the city found out that I was "legal", they should have cancelled the ticket.

Having written to parking enforcement, I received another letter (which appeared to be a form letter) basically saying the officer (are these guys really sworn officers) was always right and you are wrong, every time.  Has anyone ever received a letter saying well maybe we were wrong and since it's your word against his/hers, we're going to cancel the ticket?

I bring this up because as I was reading the LA Times today, I found an article on what a little money maker parking tickets are for the city.  Collected $130m!  Not owed, but collected!  Now I know the city is in trouble, and needs and the money it can generate but on the backs of handicap drivers?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/07/2010 04:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/City-of-Los-Angeles-Parking-Enforcement/Los-Angeles-California-90010/City-of-Los-Angeles-Parking-Enforcement-Got-a-parking-ticket-in-a-metered-location-even-621199. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on City of Los Angeles Parking Enforcement