Complaint Review: Clairmont U-Haul & Private Mini Storage Center

• Submitted: Wed, October 25, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, October 27, 2006

• Reported By:Atlanta Georgia
Clairmont U-Haul & Private Mini Storage Center
2885 Clairmont Road NE Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Clairmont U-Haul & Private Mini Storage Center Storage unit robbed by former employees, key now missing Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Key Found at another U-Haul Storage

*Consumer Suggestion: Some information on those disk locks

*Consumer Suggestion: Some information on those disk locks

My girlfriend and I are both professionals working in the computer industry for an Atlanta based company. In February 2006, we moved from Atlanta to Belgium to work in our European office. In January 2006, we signed up for a year of storage at the Uhaul Storage facility on Clairmont Road. We worked with a woman named Saundra Davis who presented herself as the owner of this location and told us she lived on the premises with her husband Roland. She was very nice and gave us a good story about how secure the facility was and how she kept a close eye on everything that went on there. She made sure to tell us that there were cameras and a secure gate and "No one got in here without her seeing them".

We were told to buy a Uhaul Disc lock which is apparently not easy to cut off. She also informed us that we need to leave one of our keys on the premises in case of an emergency. This should have been a big red flag to us but we were rushing to move and she was so nice we didn't question it. It also seemed like a good option because we would be out of the country and could have a friend get something from our unit without having to mail them a key.

In April I went to the unit to get some things, locked it up and did not come back again until October 16, 2006 to get some items. When I got to my room the lock was still locked as I left it. I opened the door to discover most of our electronics were missing including many expensive musical instruments, cd's etc.

I went back to the two employees at the front desk to report what happened. I told them that I did not want to insult their co-workers but this must have been an inside job because there were only two keys to that lock, I had one and Uhaul had the other. I was out of the country for most the period between April and October and had not been to the facility before that day.

One of the employees checked a file cabinet behind the counter. They pulled out my file and told me that my key was no longer in the file. There was a small envelope inside the file where I was told the key should have been.

The two employees proceeded to inform me that the site is under new management because Saundra and Roland were suspected criminals. They were billing people for two rooms and conducting other illegal business under the Uhual name. From what I understand from their story, Uhaul was starting to suspect them around June. Soon after, Saundra had gone on vacation and never came back. Roland apparently still shows up to ?rent a truck? and is turned away. The employees also told me another former employee Terry was fired because he was also committing criminal acts on the premises. The employees said two Uhual trucks were missing and were last rented in the name of one of Saundra and Roland's relatives and the credit card used is no longer in the computer.

It is quite clear to me, based on this information, that one of these people cleaned out my room before leaving the premises. They even kept my key. I don't understand why Uhual is not taking legal action on them given their past (not including my robbery). I am working with a police detective that informed me Roland had a prior record. I can't believe Uhual let these criminals live on the premises of their secure storage site and wonder how many other people who may have had keys on file were robbed and don't realize it.

In a follow up conversation with current manager, John Seedbury, I was informed that no other customers have left keys on file. He told me that it is not their policy to ask for keys and no other customer has left one except for some businesses on the premise and those keys are kept in a secure place in his office. I asked him if there were no keys on file, why did his employee immediately look in my folder for the missing key and tell me it was not there. I'm sure Mr. Seedbury needs to be careful about what he tells me as this is now a legal matter but I find it hard to believe that no one else was affected by this.

What I would like to know is if there are any other people who have reported a robbery or felt they were mislead or scammed by Saundra or Roland. Surely there must have been other people who left keys on file besides us. I believe we were targetted because Saundra knew we were leaving the country and we had not been back to our room in so many months.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has rented from this location who has experienced the following:
1) Signed up for service with Saundra Davis.
2) Were told by Saundra Davis to leave their key on file.
3) Have had (or currently have) a key on file at this location.
4) Feel they have been robbed or are missing items from their unit.
5) Were billed for services or fees which were not delivered or valid.
6) Feel they were mistreated in any other way at this location.

Jason
Atlanta, Georgia

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on U-Haul

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/25/2006 05:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Clairmont-U-Haul-Private-Mini-Storage-Center/Atlanta-Georgia-30329/Clairmont-U-Haul-Private-Mini-Storage-Center-Storage-unit-robbed-by-former-employees-k-217543. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Clairmont U-Haul & Private Mini Storage Center

Key Found at another U-Haul Storage

AUTHOR: Daryle - (U.S.A.)

I also have been ripped off and have a lot of evidence. Including a key I found outside the back of the building in Murfreesboro which just so happen to have a Dekalb County library card which has a BAR CODE that will probably identify the person that posessed the key.

I would really like to discuss this because I have evidence and "A LOT" of pictures of neglect of security and where the break ins damaged parts of the building. I HAVE PROOF. Someone please contact me. I want to stop this and warn others. I, NO, WE NEED HELP.!!! I HAVE EVIDENCE

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Some information on those disk locks

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Jason,

First, I need to tell you that those disk locks have a key code stamped on them and these storage managers knew this.

Anyone who wants to get access to these units just needs to buy like a dozen of these locks and that gives them a dozen different key codes.

I drove truck for a mobile storage company and had keys to every lock they sold, as people would leave locks on units when they were done with them, and I had to remove them.

As far as leaving a key with a storage manager, all I have to say is ARE YOU CRAZY? And telling a stranger your business, like leaving the country for 6 months, etc.

#3 Consumer Suggestion