Complaint Review: Classmates.com

• Submitted: Sat, October 03, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, October 03, 2009

• Reported By: Me — Tampa Florida U.S.A.
www.classmates.com Internet United States of America

Classmates.com Classmates Sold my credit card info to another company after trusting them with it for a free trial, Internet

Classmates sold my information. I signed up for a free trial with Classmates.com and cancelled my free trial within the 7 day period. I did provide my CC # for the free trial, believing it to be a legitimate company. Apparently they sold my CC# to a company called Privacy Matters, and I was charged $19.95. After finding this, I called Privacy Matters, they did take responsibility, and offered to give me my money back- however when I called Classmates.com to complain about it, they took absolutely no responsibility. The extremely rude Customer Service person I spoke with explained that you have to enter your email address twice before they will give this company your CC #.

I explained that I gave them my CC# and trusted them with it, not this other company, and if they are going to advertise, then the customer should have to enter all their information on the SITE of this other company, so that they know they are signing up with this other company, and not make it part of your purchase with Classmates.com.  She then rudely said again that we have to enter our email address twice, not once but twice before they will give them your information. I got very mad and told her I would not be using classmates.com again. She said she was sorry I felt that way. I am so upset with classmates.com, Im  not even mad at  the company that took my money, because they at least are taking responsibility and refunding my money, but classmates.com for giving my information to other companies without taking any responsibility for violating customer's privacy.. Apparently privacy does not matter.

What makes me even more upset is the Customer Service Rep's attitude like it's ok because you enter your email address twice, which I don't remember doing, however with a name like Privacy Matters, it sounds like a program they use to ensure your Privacy while you are giving your information online, as well as a lot of companies use your email address as a digital signature, so it's not far fetched to think that someone is entering their email address into a program called Privacy Matters as a digital signature of an authorized transaction. It amazes me at their ability to think it is ok.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2009 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Classmatescom/internet/Classmatescom-Classmates-Sold-my-credit-card-info-to-another-company-after-trusting-them-503773. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Classmates.com