installed

• Updated: Mon, January 16, 2012

• Reported By: carterreedy — Los Angeles California United States of America
Clear

Clear deceptive contract Internet, Internet

I signed up for Clear internet on Oct. 7, 2011 when I moved.  I was very careful to make sure I was signing up for a month to month plan because I did not want to get caught in a contract.  I opted to lease the wireless modem rather than buy it.  I found the service was just too slow for watching youtube or netflix much less uploading or downloading large video files, which I need to do for work sometimes, so I decided to cancel on Jan. 16 2012 after I got a cable modem.  Clear told me that I was in a two year contract and that I would have to pay a $106 cancelation fee.  I said that was incorrect because I had a month to month contract.  They said that they had the real contract and that it was in fact a two year contract because I was leasing the modem.  On their website, my account information was listed as "temporarily unavailable" so I could not read the contract myself.

The bottom line is that I was very thorough when I signed up to make sure there was no 2 year contract and to early termination fee, yet somehow I got suckered into one and had to pay the fee.  I don't have screenshots of the the website on the day I purchased and they changed the website and the offeres since then so I can't go back and prove exactly what they had on that day, but it obviously was deceptive since I was very hawkish when I signed up and I could not avoid this trap.  Also, their service is too slow for much of anything so don't bother getting them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2012 12:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Clear/internet/Clear-deceptive-contract-Internet-Internet-823460. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Clear