Complaint Review: Clearwire

clearwire.com/ Nationwide U.S.A.

Clearwire Ripping consumers off to the max! Tacoma Washington

*Consumer Comment: Clearwire needs better customer service

*UPDATE Employee: Moving?

I was told by a Clearwire representative that if I moved to an area where coverage was not provided that I would be let out of my contract without additional fees. I moved to an area where Clearwire does not provide coverage and they are stating that I owe them $180 for early termination of service! Its $200 for the modem (lost or stolen charge) if I do not return the equipment within 14 days of cancellation of services. I feel like this company is preying on consumers and I feel like they are getting away with legally stealing from people. Businesses like this should not be allowed to operate. Avoid them like the plague.

Damian
Lacey, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2008 07:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Clearwire/nationwide/Clearwire-Ripping-consumers-off-to-the-max-Tacoma-Washington-357593. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Clearwire

Clearwire needs better customer service

AUTHOR: Pokerqueent - (U.S.A.)

I, too, have Clearwire. We moved, looked up the new address on their website, which when we did LOOKED like we could have service. Ok, great. We move, get set up, nothing happens. My husband calls - he also called previous to moving and was told we would have service at the new place - and Clearwire says, oh, sorry, no service. But yes, you have to pay the monthly or a termination fee until your contract expires.

First, I don't remember any contract at all signing up. I believe the guy at Best Buy neglected to inform us of that. Anyways, I wouldn't mind paying for the service if we had known before we moved that we wouldn't have service. Not told yes, you would, and also the website looks like we do. Actually, the website shows you a PC card, and the guy actually told my husband we could use the PC card in our laptop and drive about 2 miles to have service. I couldn't believe that one!!

After repeated calls to Clearwire to try and explain our side, some are sympathetic, but mostly it's our fault. My husband also talked to a manager about the website, and even the manager said it was misleading. But alas, no adjustment, no nothing.

We only had to pay about 3 months worth, but that is not even the point of it. When you call into customer service, they sound like they care until you tell them you don't want to pay. I explained to one rep our situation and I said, I don't see why I should pay when I was given incorrect information. And she says, well, you have a contract. Great. Thanks for the help.

We will never use this company again and I won't recommend them. That's about all you can do anymore.

Moving?

AUTHOR: <3 Cw - (U.S.A.)

Damian,

I'm sorry you feel that Clearwire is preying on consumers. I assure you, that is not our mode of operation. It states in our Terms of Service (listed on Clearwire.com at http://www.clearwire.com/company/legal/terms.htm) that:

-=-
If your Internet Access Service was activated prior to March 1, 2007 and you terminate that Service for any reason, including relocation outside a coverage area, or that Service is terminated by Clearwire for any violation by you of the Agreement prior to the end of the Initial Term or any Renewal Term, as applicable, you will be liable for an early termination fee of $180 or such other early termination fee as may be specified on your Order Form. If your Internet Access Service was activated on or after March 1, 2007 and you terminate that Service for any reason, including relocation outside a coverage area, or that Service is terminated by Clearwire for any violation by you of the Agreement prior to the end of the Initial Term or any Renewal Term, as applicable, you will be liable for an early termination fee of $220 less (a) $5 per month for each full month of Service after the beginning of the Initial Term or the Renewal Term, as applicable, prior to such termination if your Initial Term is for two years and (b) $10 per month for each month of Service after the beginning of the Initial Term or the Renewal Term, as applicable, prior to such termination if your Initial Term is for one year, or (c) such other early termination fee as may be specified on your Order Form. The early termination fees applicable to your Service as described in this Section 2 are sometimes referred to in these Terms as the "Early Termination Fee."
-=-

The information you received sounds like an unfortunate miscommunication. Perhaps we could discuss options with you to help resolve this to the benefit of all parties involved.

1-888-CLEARWIRE (1-888-253-2794)