Complaint Review: Close Combat Training

• Submitted: Fri, February 20, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, April 11, 2012

• Reported By:Newport Beach California
Close Combat Training
1000C Lake St Ramsey, New Jersey U.S.A.

Close Combat Training Ships & Charges Unordered Product Even After Cancellation Ramsey New Jersey

*General Comment: Thanks

*Consumer Comment: Wait until you actually use what is taught before commenting

*Consumer Comment: No Fear!!!

*Consumer Comment: Confidence!!

*Consumer Comment: I have confidence

*Consumer Comment: Best Out There

*Consumer Comment: Many Thanks

In December, 2008, I ordered some DVDs and books online from this company. I seem to recall specifically declining the "bonus" vitamin/supplement materials, since I already have my own supplement program AND I *never* subscribe to automatic recurring-shipment programs unless/until I try the item out first.

The DVD/booklet package arrived (late) in January -- and included two bottles of supplements. There was no indication that I had or would be charged further. I called the "Customer Service" number on the packing slip, which is a third-party order processing center that (supposedly) entered the cancellation order.

On February 17, I received a package by USPS First Class mail containing two more bottles of vitamins/supplements. Strange, since the packing slip showed (unspecified) charges on 1/16 and shipment on 1/17. A full month for first-class delivery?

I immediately called the "Customer Service" number on the packing list. They claimed no record of a previous cancellation. They further claimed that their records from the postal service showed a confirmed delivery on 1/26.

Nine days for first-class delivery? Another 23 days to actually show up in my mail box?

They also noted that yet a third shipment had "already shipped yesterday" (2/16), so they would not be able to cancel that shipment or the related charges. However, they claimed to have cancelled my subscription completely and effective immediately.

They also claimed to have contacted "Heather" at Close Combat while I had been waiting on hold. They assured me that they would follow up with her, and that I should expect an email and probably a call from her -- the next day, if not later that same day, since I was clearly unhappy.

It is now 2/20, and I haven't heard from anyone yet -- EXCEPT that I just received an automated Order Shipment Notification by email. This document cites 2/19 as the shipment date -- TWO DAYS AFTER the latest order supposedly had "aleady shipped".

A little investigation with American Express now tells me that Close Combat charged me $99.95 for each of the already-cancelled orders. This for two 30-day bottles of vitamins/supplement and a "newsletter" which, by the way, I've never received -- by email or otherwise?

On the Close Combat Training website (www.closecombattraining.com), I could find no link to *any* email address or true Customer Service telephone number for the company. The tab for Contact provides no direct method of contact other than the third-party Order Processing folks, a fax number, a line for inquiring about personal or corporate training sessions, and another number for Media Relations.

The telephone numbers on the packing slip are the third-party order processing outfit, who apparently won't/can't give out an address or phone number for their client. Neither will they give me their own company name. Hmmm.
(The packing slip shows an address for a US Consumer Proucts in Coatesville, PA, under a Close Combat logo, but those guys may well just be an "innocent" fulfillment center.)

The Close Combat Training promotional website (www.tryclosecombat.com) did show the address of 1000C Lake Street in Ramsey, New Jersey, for The Close Combat Company, LLC. AT&T's online telephone-number search found no telephone number for that name or address.

A little Google research provided information on a previous complaint here on Ripoff Report ... AND the telephone number of (917) 546-6870 from a Dunn&Bradstreet summary listing.

When I called that number, the recorded voice of "Captain" Chris Pizzo referred me -- once again -- to the numbers for the third-party processing centers. To reach anybody else, you have to already know their extension. No names or departments were listed by the automated system.

So I called the "Media Relations" extension from the website and got the voice mailbox of Heather Campanelli, a "registered dietician and chief operating officer". [It was admittedly after-hours in New Jersey, so maybe voicemail is to be expected.]

I would like to wait before filing this report until Ms. Campanelli has had a chance to respond to my voicemail message. But frankly, I'm more than a little skeptical that I will ever hear back from these folks. If I do and they address the problem satisfactorily, I apologize in advance for not allowing that extra time.

Series of ineffective procedures and honest mistakes or misunderstandings (perhaps even on my part)? Or something more "sinister"?

You decide.

PS -- This next part is just my opinion, but I thought the DVDs and printed materials I received were somewhat lame, especially for $197.

Tickedoff
Newport Beach, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2009 07:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Close-Combat-Training/Ramsey-New-Jersey-07446/Close-Combat-Training-Ships-Charges-Unordered-Product-Even-After-Cancellation-Ramsey-New-426738. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Close Combat Training

#1 General Comment

Thanks

AUTHOR: Alex - (United States of America)

I was just getting ready to puchase this system, but thought I would check the reviews first. I really appreciate the comments regarding this product/company. Same ole thing unfortunately - It is sad and borders illegal. I have been caught up in similar situations, and have found it aggravating, time consumming and painful at times. Just know that it can be resolved if you stick to it and document everything. I now find it essential to research the company/product before making any purchases, as I have done here with your help! I have just registered with you folks, and look forward to sharing information to help myself, as well as other readers!

Thanks again!

Wait until you actually use what is taught before commenting

AUTHOR: Mark - (USA)

When you need to defend yourself your primal brain will take over, or years of training not watching a DVD. The mere numbers of rip off reports tells me that there's a big problem with integrity.

No Fear!!!

AUTHOR: Chris - (United States of America)

As a deputy sheriff, I have actually got to put in use what you have taught me... I promise you, I Fear No Man!"

Confidence!!

AUTHOR: Brandon - (United States of America)

"The fact that this system allows you to instantly react to a situation,
just like a natural reflex, is absolutely the best thing about it. It
is a great feeling to know that I can truly defend myself and carry
myself with confidence wherever I go."

I have confidence

AUTHOR: Tim OShaughnessy - (United States of America)

Having the confidence to deal with any encounter, is a wonderful thing.

Thanks!

Best Out There

AUTHOR: Joseph Towner - (USA)

Thank you for everything you have done. I appreciate it. Close Combat Training is the best out there and your customer service is awesome. Thank you again.

Many Thanks

AUTHOR: Randy Redden - (United States of America)

Good Day, My wife and I enjoyed the close combat training videos, finding ourselves in agreement that fighting back immediately and forcefully gives the best chance of survival and escape. Thank you.