Complaint Review: Cloud 9 Paragliding

• Submitted: Tue, May 10, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, October 16, 2012

• Reported By: Mark — Salt Lake City Utah U.S.A.
Cloud 9 Paragliding
12665 Minuteman Drive Suite 1 Draper, Utah United States of America

Cloud 9 Paragliding Cloud 9, Utah Paragliding, paragliders.com paragliding school ripoff, learning to paraglide - yea right! Draper, Utah

*General Comment: Cloud 9 is Great

*Consumer Comment: Just finished certification at Cloud 9

*Consumer Comment: cloud 9 is great!!

*Consumer Comment: Great Experience at Clout 9

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: GREAT PEOPLE AT CLOUD 9

So I wanted to learn to paraglide.  I looked up a bunch of schools, talked to some people, finally picked Cloud 9.  Why?  Because they seemed to be one of the larger schools, they have a shop, their pitch sounded good.

Big mistake.

What did I get for over a thousand dollars of my hard earned money?  I now know how to float off a small bunny hill for a minute and a half and end up down below.  Amazing, right?  My God, I can drift off a bunny hill!

Their "instruction" is a ploy to get you to buy about $6,000 worth of gear, which also you won't know how to use for anything ... unless you have a bunny hill nearby you want to drift down from.

Their school is at a world class flying site.  Any given afternoon I'd see dozens of paragliders soaring above the mountains, looked like great fun.  Did I think I'd learn how to do that for a thousand dollars, plus another six thousand in gear?  Yup, I did.  Silly, silly me.  But no though, I don't know how to do that.  I know nothing about anything except floating down a bunny hill.  Because that's what you get from Cloud 9.

Maybe I'm speaking out of frustration, but the owners of that place are first class dicks, also.  Arrogant, quasi friendly only the day off the "oops you need to buy gear now" charade.  Did they teach me anything whatsoever?  Nope.  There were at least five of us on the bunny hill, trying to figure stuff out, and one and a half stressed looking instructors giving us the most basic of input.

80% of the words that entailed this "instructions" were ... 'left' and 'right'.  They put a radio on you and basically remote steer you down the bunny hill.  It's sad, seriously.  Now I need to go find a real instructor to actually teach me how to fly.  This is over seven thousand dollars later.

Don't make my mistake, do your research, talk to the actual INSTRUCTOR you'll be learning from, and get something in writing on what you'll KNOW HOW TO DO and how many people your instructor will be teaching simultaneously.

F**K Cloud 9, seriously.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2011 09:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cloud-9-Paragliding/Draper-Utah-84020/Cloud-9-Paragliding-Cloud-9-Utah-Paragliding-paragliderscom-paragliding-school-ripoff-727619. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cloud 9 Paragliding

#1 General Comment

Cloud 9 is Great

AUTHOR: Paraglide Student - ()

I know from experience that the Cloud 9 program gives unlimited training to ensure you are prepared. Just like driving a car, when you get your license you need to drive a lot before you should consider ypurself a good driver. Paragliding like any aviation requires a certain level of commitment. When you receive your P2 rating that means you are a full fledge BEGINNER. Which in turn means you know the basics which in turns means you should focus on the basics until you master them. Take responsibility for your role in the process and get your money ready because this is not free or cheap and I like it that way to keep whiners whining. What else is not your fault? By the way, people require a lot of practice to fly since we are flat footed. I hope the original poster lives a long healthy life injury free from paragliding. Good luck!

Just finished certification at Cloud 9

AUTHOR: Greg - (United States of America)

Hmm... Sometimes people make mistakes, sometimes competitors make it appear people make mistakes.  Don't know what happened in the case of this original report.  But I'm glad I didn't find this report until after I went to UT and got a P2 certification at Cloud9.  I got great value out of the Cloud 9 P2 cert program, unlimited morning and evening lessons for 11 days, patient instructors and personalized attention.  I can't see how the situation described in the original report is possible where the course program includes unlimited lessons for the time you are in town.  It seems to me all the person had to do was extend the stay and keep taking lessons.  I was able to fly off a steep drop-off on the north side on the 4th day of my training.  And so did 3 other people in my class.  I also was allowed to use the same gear throughout the course, so it was like having my own gear.  Greg

cloud 9 is great!!

AUTHOR: b - (United States of America)

I learned from cloud 9 ten years ago.  I've seen other instructors come and go.  They are always willing to answer any questions I have to this day.  Paragliding takes much practice and experience to become an expert and can't be expected from any instuctors p2 course.

Great Experience at Clout 9

AUTHOR: cssanger - (United States of America)

I just finished my P2 cert with Clout 9 and couldn't be happier. Yes, I'm hooked and yes, they tried to sell me gear (cant do much flying without gear) but they made every effort to find used gear in my size because I'm broke. I'm going to pick up a used setup tonight for half the price of new.

The instructors were all amazing, without any hesitation I can say that Kevin clearly enjoys teaching, knows his stuff and I would recommend him to anyone. Honestly, he has the gift of teaching.

I learned so much at the lessons and flew at both the north and south side of point of the mountain. I'm going back to fly as well.

Do I know everything? Uh no, but I know enough to fly safely and to continue to learn.

#5 REBUTTAL Individual responds

GREAT PEOPLE AT CLOUD 9

AUTHOR: WF Bergman - (United States of America)

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH CLOUD 9 SENCE 1987, AND AM A HANG GLIDER PILOT & PARAGLIDER PILOT. IN ALL THE YEARS I HAVE KNOWN THEM I HAVE ALLWAYS GOTTEN A FARE DEAL. YOU WON'T FIND A BETTER SCHOOL  ANYWARE. THE PERSON WHO COMPLAINED PROBABLY WASN'T CAPABLE TO FLY.SOME PEOPLE DON'T GET IT.     W.F.BERGMAN

printed