• Report: #190167

• Submitted: Fri, May 05, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, October 20, 2008

• Reported By:Merced California
Coastal Transport
1603 Ackerman Rd. San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

Coastal Transport Ripoff Was cleared by the court not guilty of my accident rollover Coastal told DAC that I was guilty (preventable) and it was reported to DOT. Not true. San Antonio Texas

*Author of original report: I was cleared by the courts of accident company did not care by.....

*Author of original report: To Ken in Asheville, NC

*Consumer Suggestion: 10-4, Clayton...

*Author of original report: To Ken in Asheville, North Carolina

*Consumer Suggestion: Just a bit more on this - there are other factors that could have contributed to the rollover

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: In response to Douglas in Orlando, Florida USA

*Consumer Suggestion: Last poster is correct.

*Consumer Suggestion: Guilty or Preventable???

*Consumer Suggestion: Contact OOIDA Soon as possible !!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Clayton..You DO NOT need a lawyer!..

I went to court and I was found not guilty of my rollover because of the debree & gravel that was accumulated there so it was not reported to DOT so I have a clean DMV printout.

Coastal Transport told DAC that I was guilty and it was reported to DOT even after I sent them the not guilty papers and my clean DMV printout. DAC did not verify that information. Now I cannot get a job.

I am having a very hard time finding a lawyer that will help me in central california. If anyone knows of a lawyer please email me asap. HELP!

Clayton
Merced, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/05/2006 02:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Coastal-Transport/San-Antonio-Texas-78219-3511/Coastal-Transport-Ripoff-Was-cleared-by-the-court-not-guilty-of-my-accident-rollover-Coast-190167. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Coastal Transport

I was cleared by the courts of accident company did not care by.....

AUTHOR: Clayton - (U.S.A.)

I went to to court and I was found not guilty of my rollover because of the debree & gravel that was accumulated there so it waas never reported to DOT which means I have a clean DMV. Coastal Transportation did not care about the court results and listed it on the DAC report, that other truck companies look at before they decide to hire you, that I was a wreckless driver and it was reported to DOT. That was a lie! I am financially destroyed because of them. A workman's compensation judge ordered for Coastal to take off that damaging information so I could get a job. I lost my senioriy of 10 years experience because of the 4 year gap of unemployment in trucking and now have to start at the bottom.

To Ken in Asheville, NC

AUTHOR: Clayton - (U.S.A.)

Ken, I thought you might like to know this. Coastal Transport was court ordered to take off any reference about myself on the DAC report. It shows people out there that you can change or remove any fraudulant information if you are presistant.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

10-4, Clayton...

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

I can't argue with what companies will do to your DAC report. It's ironic that companies are seemingly begging for drivers, and there's this horrendous driver shortage, and yet drivers get the shaft when it comes to respecting their time off (calling you in the middle of your "weekend", wanting you to take this "hot load"), having to run ridiculous schedules, and then getting their DAC report dinged. And the DAC is only as reliable as the garbage that is put into it.

Many a good driver has left this industry because of the BS...many more will.

Again, good luck to you, friend.

To Ken in Asheville, North Carolina

AUTHOR: Clayton - (U.S.A.)

If you believe me or not it really does not matter. The point was that I was telling the truth and I was cleared by the court and nothing was ever put on my DMV printout. You would have to be there to understand the down hill intersection sloped the same degrees in both directions right and left for at least a 100 feet until it leveled out making the intersection an engineering disaster for a liquid tanker plus there was signal lights at the intersection which caused me to slow cautiouly into the intersection. Yes the light was green but it wasn't green the entire down hill approach. So that's why I was travling so slow. It had just changed to green right before I entered the intersection and the rest you already know.
Thank you for your concern.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

I don't want to drag this out, but there are other factors that could have contributed to the rollover.

You may have been making the turn "at no more than 5 miles per hour", but how fast did you approach the turn? How was your trailer loaded (tanker? lots of shifting). If you approached the turn too fast (approached is the key word here), your cargo may have been moving within the trailer to change your center of gravity, thereby causing the shift and the rollover.

As far as the "less than five miles per hour" part, I'm personally a little leery of that. I drove a tanker for a year in the mountains and never came close to turning the thing over at 5 MPH, loaded or empty.

Either way, I still wish you well. And do be sure to use your 100 words allowed to rebut charges made on your DAC report. Be concise, state the facts, and don't get defensive. Use the 100 words wisely.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

In response to Douglas in Orlando, Florida USA

AUTHOR: Clayton - (U.S.A.)

No where in my report did I say that I avoided the debree and gravel. It was night time and the road was a five to seven degrees down hill intersection in the mountains and I did not even see the debree and gravel while I was making the turn at no more 5 miles per hour. I made the turn due to the degree of down hill really wide and did not fell the trailer slide until I was almost finishing the turn. By that time it was too late. The trailer started to lean over and there was nothing I could do to stop it. This is what I told the judge in Sonora, California and she said I was not guilty. There has been reports of several accidents in that area according to the local police department. This information was new to me. The answere to your question of guilty or preventable is non preventable and not guilty according to the court of law. The debree in the road was just like if you drove through an oil slick or ice and did not know it was there and lost control. I was not found to traveling faster than road conditions so this is why it is a non-preventable accident.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Last poster is correct.

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

Not guilty does not equate to Non-preventable in the trucking industry. (I drove OTR for nine years).

You don't say if your rollover was on an on- or off-ramp, or other stretch of road. If it was a ramp, the company may consider you to have gone too fast for the ramp, regardless of any debris in your path.

I wish you well.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Guilty or Preventable???

AUTHOR: Douglas - (U.S.A.)

Clayton:

You can write to anyone you want. However, the real question is was this preventable? Did you do everything reasonable to avoid this? In this business, companies treat roll-overs very seriously and so does the industry. Swerving to avoid something and then rolling over is preventable.

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Contact OOIDA Soon as possible !!!

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

You'd better contact the offices of OOIDA as soon as possible, and inform them of this, as they have a class action lawsuit against DAC Services as reported on their web site and in their magazine landline,,, ask for the business services dept at OOIDA,,, or go to their web site, type OOIDA in your google search engine !!!!

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Clayton..You DO NOT need a lawyer!..

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Clayton,

USIS/DAC reporting falls under the guidelines of the FCRA and FTC enforcement.

Go to FTC.gov and file complaints against DAC and the company.

Then send them a certified letter DEMANDING whatever documentation they have re the DOT chargeable, and CC it to the DOT, and FTC, and the company by certified mail, RRR. And clearly dispute the entry.

Play them against each other.

Also, you are entitled to a 100 word consumer statement on your DAC report to tell your side.