Complaint Review: Cog Property Management, Inc.

• Submitted: Thu, April 19, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, February 25, 2013

• Reported By: eastofeden — Marietta Georgia United States of America
Cog Property Management, Inc.
17 Nebo Rd. Suite A, Dallas GA 30157 Dallas, Georgia United States of America

Cog Property Management, Inc. Deposit and Application Fee Scam Dallas, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Don't trust Terri or COG

*Consumer Comment: COG is full of lies

*Author of original report: Still Holding Deposit A Year Later

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: The reason there reservation was returned

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Agent Terri Dodson

When I was trying to find a rental property that would accept cats, I contacted Cog Management, Inc about a rental property at 106 Brookside in Dallas Georgia. The agent Terri Dodson showed the property, but never told me that tenants are required to pay their rent with a credit card. She also never mentioned that there is a per pet charge of $20 a month rent in addition to the deposit. I went to her office and gave a deposit of $600 in cash, but didn't fill out an application because I didn't have all the information I needed with me. At that time she told me that they would try to negotiate down the cat rental fee, and that I would have 21 days to complete the application and return it, and pay the balance before moving in. Another person in the office named Michele said they could accept cash for the deposit, but that I would not be able to pay my rent in cash. I assumed she meant I would pay with a check. No one mentioned the credit card requirement.

They were rushing me to sign and grab the money, so I asked if I could take the application home to fill it out and bring it back.  I was told that would be okay, I could take as long as 21 days. I left the office with the application at around 2:30 in the afternoon. Later when my husband and I started to fill out the application, we discovered that it stated in writing that the rent was to be paid online, with a credit card. We went online to their website and found it said the same thing there. It was 7:00p.m., so the office was closed.

The next morining at 8:00 I called Terri Dodson and told her I did not have a credit card and that I wanted my deposit back, and to go ahead and show the house, because we were not going to complete an application with them. I told her I would be driving back to their office to pick up the money. She said that it didn't matter what the application or website stated, that people paid their rents with checks all the time. I told her I would not accept a verbal agreement that conflicted with the written one, I just wanted my money back. She started saying that I was going to have trouble renting anywhere with my credit, that if I rented a house from an idividual that the property might be in foreclosure, and made all sorts of other excuses why I should rent a house from her. I repeated that I wanted the deposit back and was coming to get it.

Some other person named Barbara called a little while later and said that I couldn't get my money back, and said that all they would refund was the "reserves" not the $60 application fee, even though I had not given them the application and called to cancel before they could have processed one anyway. She said they would refund the money if I was not approved!! She would let me know in a week. I told her this was wrong of them to do me that way, that I needed the money to find a place to live because I only have a week left to find a place.

A good business would have refunded the money on the spot. These people prey on renters with poor credit, and leave out important details of their operation until after they get your money. They rent out hundreds of homes for property owners, and don't give a s**t about the tenants.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/19/2012 03:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cog-Property-Management-Inc/Dallas-Georgia-30157/Cog-Property-Management-Inc-Deposit-and-Application-Fee-Scam-Dallas-Georgia-870954. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cog Property Management, Inc.

Don't trust Terri or COG

AUTHOR: Learjet25d - ()

Terri Dodson will tell you anything to get you in a home or lie to a customer.  She and COG love to take your money or charge you for work not completed and then threaten you.

She is a terrible agent and will continue to tell you anything to get you in a home, including lying to the owner.

Never use her or COG for renting in Paulding County.

COG is full of lies

AUTHOR: Learjet25d - ()

COG will tell you anything for them to get your money.  When something does not go your way, they will take and keep your money.  As a management company they SUCK.  I have used the for 5 years and nothing but trouble.  The the most deadbeat renters in my home.  I have done nothing but lost money.

now as Terri goes, she does seem to be a hard worker and tries really hard to get your home rented.  I do not blame her, I blame COG management for everything.

Still Holding Deposit A Year Later

AUTHOR: eastofeden - (United States of America)

You know all the pseudo religious nonsense doesn't change the fact that Cog Management is still holding the deposit a year later, and refused to release it to us unless we signed a release form promising not to sue! That's a really deceitful way to do business, to tell someone to come pick up their refund and let them drive all that way only to find out there are caveats. This company practices deceit and blackmail.

#4 REBUTTAL Individual responds

The reason there reservation was returned

AUTHOR: Terri Dodson - (United States of America)

She never turned in the rest of her husbands info or pay Stubbs so they didn't qualify.

#5 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Agent Terri Dodson

AUTHOR: Terri Dodson - (United States of America)

I was contacted last April by a lady looking for a home at the above address. I explained our process and how we work. Our application fee is 60 per couple. After asking when was she looking to move she said asap. I ask there combined monthly gross income. I ask her when was a good time for both her and her husband to see the home. She stated that her husband worked long hours and she would be making the decision without him. She loved the home and wanted to move in. She did tell me she had one cat at that time and I explained our pet policy. Under 25 pounds its a 150 pet fee per pet. And 25 dollars pet rent. I said I would ask the owner if they would wave that. The lady never stated at anytime she had more then one cat. She wanted to know what she could do to get the home. I said first the application would need to be filled out to see if they are approved. I told her my office was just down the road. Where she could sit down and fill it out. She agreed and followed me. I also told her it was a choice to put in a reservation on the home of 500.00 to hold the home for up to 21 days if needed. Her reservation fee would go toward her deposit. If for any reason she was turned down we would give it back. The application fee is non refundable.

After returning to my office she was filling out the application and at that time I ask her if she would like to put a reservation on the home and she said yes. She gave me 600 cash for the 60.00 application fee and 500 to reserve the home. She filled out a lot of the application and was struggling with some of her husbands info so I copied her part and told her we would start on her part of the the app to get me the rest back the next day. She called me the next morning upset because she didn't have a credit card to pay her rent. I explained to her she could along with most of the people we rent to that she can pay with a check. That was just a option. At that time she told me her husband was upset with her because it was a hour from his work. I told her we can refund her 500 but not her application fee. We had already started processing. I called the owner and told him. They came to the office to get the check and Regina ask them to sign a paper that we refunded there money. He was very upset because of the application fee. I am sorry if I did anything to upset these people. I was just trying to help them. God bless!