Complaint Review: Cohen's Fashion Optical

681 Lexington Ave New York, New York United States of America
  • Phone: 212-751-6652
  • Web:
  • Category: Eye Care

Cohen's Fashion Optical Dishonest,deceitful Optical Store to Avoid New York, New York

On Jan.20, 2011, I went to Cohens Optical to purchase Maui Jim prescription  sunglasses.  The manager, Brian, told me that even though my prescription exceeded the parameters set by Maui Jim for the frames that I chose, because of his connections with Maui Jim, he would be able to have it made by Maui Jim in their own lab.  He suggested that I get the MJ lenses because  they are far superior to any made in other labs.and are worth the extra money for their patented passport/evolution lenses.  I paid in advance as required by Cohens.a total price of $538 .

I picked up the glasses on Feb. 15.  I was curious about the MJ logo missing from the lens, but when I brought it up, Brian told me that MJ lenses sometimes have the logo and sometimes do not.  That evening, I called MJ and the representative told me that all of their patented lenses which are made in their factory, have the etched logo, without exception.

I returned to Cohens and asked to see the order slip and Brian admitted that the lenses were, in fact, not manufactured by Maui Jim.  He said that he would send the frames to MJ again and have his contact oversee the lens production.

After many calls, and being told that the lenses were being worked on, I was finally told that after six failed inspections, MJ gave up on making the lenses.. Brian told me that I could order a new pair of glasses made in a top lab, with all of the features offered by MJ for a price, of course, much lower than MJs, $373 as compared to $538 that I paid and which would be refunded to me in a few days.  I told him that it would be fine and I would order the glasses as soon as my credit arrived.

Twenty calls and many promises later, on May 26, two and one half months later, I received the credit to my Amex card.
I went to see Brian who said that he would order the frame and call me as soon as it arrived and assured me that I would pay the price that he quoted me.  The frames finally arrived at Cohens on July 22 and I dropped in to order the glasses, .Brian wrote up the order with a new price.  When I questioned him about the difference between the price promised to me twice and the extra $100 now, he told me that he could not give it to me for the price promised two weeks ago.

Do not do business with Cohens Optical.  They are definitely incompetent, dishonest and probably carrying out fraudulent activities in dealing with their customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2011 04:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cohens-Fashion-Optical/New-York-New-York-/Cohens-Fashion-Optical-Dishonestdeceitful-Optical-Store-to-Avoid-New-York-New-York-765107. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cohen's Fashion Optical