Complaint Review: Collect America LTD

• Submitted: Thu, November 20, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, November 20, 2003

• Reported By:Decatur Alabama
Collect America LTD
1999 Broadway #2150 Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Collect America LTD ripoff, fraud, unauthorized autodarft 2150, Denver, Colorado

n. Obtaining money or property by threat to a victim's property or loved ones, intimidation, or false claim of a right (such as pretending to be an IRS agent). It is a felony in all states, except that a direct threat to harm the victim is usually treated as the crime of robbery. Blackmail is a form of extortion in which the threat is to expose embarrassing, damaging information to family, friends or the public.

Contacted this agency about the debt and told that they were lawyers for MBNA not Collect America. I never once agreed to pay Collect America or had knowledge that was who was calling. Threatened lawsuits, garnishment and taking property if I did not set up bank draft immediately. I agreed to 250 every two weeks when I got paid and set up the dates in advance. Last week they pulled an unauthorized debt (250.00) on an unauthorized day. When I called to cancel auto draft and continue through online banking, offering to send documentation with reserved check numbers I was severely threatened again. I was told there was no resolution except auto draft and they would be taking my property legally as fast as they could. The gentleman then hung up on me after yelling his threats.

I called today, 11/17/2003 and cancelled all auto drafts for my checking account and was severely threatened with lawsuits, loss of home and property. I was told buy the Collect America purported attorney that the auto drafts would cease immediately and they would take out no more funds.

From this day on I will deal directly with MBNA, all communications are to cease. I dispute every charge against my account that you may list. I would like to see both Collect America and MBNA held accountable for violating the Fair Credit Collections Act.

Complaints to be filed with the FCC, FTC, Denver BBB.

Jo Lynn

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2003 08:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Collect-America-LTD/Denver-Colorado-80202/Collect-America-LTD-ripoff-fraud-unauthorized-autodarft-2150-Denver-Colorado-72534. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Collect America LTD