Complaint Review: Collegebookrenter.com

• Updated: Mon, August 29, 2011

• Reported By: Libby — Cary North Carolina United States of America
Collegebookrenter.com
3724 US Hwy 641 South Internet United States of America

Collegebookrenter.com unfair annd unethical return policy Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Book was not returned within allowed time limits

I am an RN, finishing my bsn and graduate degree that uses several online book rental companies to cut textbook expenses.  Collegebookrenter.com is one of the company I use for this purpose.  I have rented from this company several times before and never had an issue.  However this past May I feel the company practiced unethical policies and refused to refund my money even though I was within their rental refund period!
My book was ordered from collegebookrenter.com on 4/16, but not delivered until 4/26.  It was mailed back to them in the original packaging on 5/12, but they count the rental return date from the date it was ordered not recieved!!!  Ridiculous!!  This makes no sense to me.  This company apparently has no desire to satisfy their customers at all.  I talked to Dana supervisor at ext 1013, and she was annoyed that she even had to take my call and just kept saying "there's nothing I can do...it's our policy"...this is what customer service has come to, it's like talking to a robot.  I asked her if she cared about customer service and apparently they do not.....stay away...far away, there are better companied out there that have ethical business practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/31/2011 05:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Collegebookrentercom/internet/Collegebookrentercom-unfair-annd-unethical-return-policy-Internet-735261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Collegebookrenter.com

Book was not returned within allowed time limits

AUTHOR: College Book Renter Support - (United States of America)

The customer placed an order with our company on Saturday, April 16th for the book in question. At the time an order is placed, a message appears that states Please verify that all above information is correct. Once the order is finalized, it cannot be changed or cancelled.

The customer sent an email on Monday, April 18th requesting that this order be cancelled because she had dropped the class. We are unable to stop orders that have already been processed so the customer was sent an email that we were not able to stop the shipment, but that the book could be returned for a refund of the rental fee. The email gives very specific instructions for the return process and includes our return for refund policy. Our refund policy states 90-day rentals (which is what this customer selected) must be returned within 20 days of the original order date. To qualify for this refund, your return package must be postmarked by UPS within 20 days of your original order date." Since the original order date was 4/16 this book needed to be postmarked by 5/6. We provide prepaid UPS return labels and have the ability to track the progress of the package as well as see when the label was created. This return label was not created for return until 5/10 and was not scanned with UPS until 5/12- almost a week past the return for refund limit. The book was delivered to our warehouse on 5/16.

The package was delivered to the customer on the 26th of April. At that time, it could have been returned for a full refund of the rental cost. Since the return label was not created for 14 days after the package arrived, the approved time frame for the refund expired.

The customer emailed on Monday, May 30th inquiring about the status of her refund. In that email she stated that that the book was returned within the 30 day period. The customer was notified at that time that we do not have a 30 day return policy. When this customer created her account she did check that she had read and agreed to our Terms of Use policy. Our Refund Policy is included in the Terms of Use.

We must enforce our return policy, because if customers do not return their books in a timely manner, it prevents our company from being able to rent or sell the used book to another customer.

The customer filed this complaint with the BBB, and the BBB found in favor of our company.