Complaint Review: Collins College

• Updated: Fri, January 25, 2013

• Reported By: Austin — Yuma Arizona United States of America
Collins College
4750 S 44th Pl Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Collins College Overcharged me for classes and dodged calls for itemization of all charges. Failed job placement, and charged for classes given without teacher present ,flash I, Phoenix, Arizona

I got my B.A. in Game Design. I was quoted 60k for all costs including stipends for living expenses before starting in January 2009. Should have finished Setpember 2011, but due to delays/class failures, finished February 2012. by then, I owed 121,000+. From March 2012-May 2012, I tried several times a week to get in touch with the financial aid department about an itemized bill for my classes. After doing the math, my total should have been less than 90k. I had around 28k-31k of stipends for living expenses, less than 10k in purchases from the book store, and it should be around 50k for classes. Somehow, I was charged 121k though.

During my education, the turnover rate for teachers was abysmal. I had my Flash 1 teacher quit without telling the school on the second week of class. We weren't given a replacement teacher until week 7. That replacement wasn't a flash teacher, and we were charged for the class and pushed into the next track, unprepared. This is especially damaging considering the classes only go for 10 weeks each, so we missed 6 weeks of class.

The skills I learned were out of date (learning actionscript 2 programming language when actionscript 3 had been out for months, learning Photoshop CS4 when CS6 was released) or irrelevant in the industry (We learned Unity 3D, a fairly obscure game engine, instead of unreal or crytek engines as the school deemed these "too costly"). The skills I learned that were relevant, weren't in depth enough to make me competitive in the job market.

Many of the jobs that the career help desk referred me for were unpaid jobs, not internships, actual jobs for commercial products where pay was given if "management liked the end product enough". Many of these companies I was referred to were started by former teachers or students. Paying jobs I was referred to deemed my portfolio insufficient, despite the fact that to graduate, collins claimed they wouldn't let you graduate unless your portfolio was of "professional quality".

I have several classmates that are in the same boat as me, with an unreal amount of debt, no marketable skills, and working fast food/minimum wage jobs to get by in the interim.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2013 08:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Collins-College/Phoenix-Arizona-85040/Collins-College-Overcharged-me-for-classes-and-dodged-calls-for-itemization-of-all-charge-1003598. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Collins College